8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Tape splices and film cleaning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tape splices and film cleaning
Gary Steven Lester
Junior

- posted September 10, 2013 04:48 PM      Profile for Gary Steven Lester         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been going thru some of my old super 8 films replacing some old tape splices and cleaning the film itself.
I'm on my last roll of Fuji tape and also have been using the white label generic Kodak presstapes that I trim.
The issue I'm having is the tapes do not seem to be adhering to the film completely. "Bubbles" form especially on the base side of the film. The Fuji tape may be old but the presstapes should be fresh. I will soon be using a Ciro splicer. Just got some fresh splicing tape. It's not one of my favorites since the tape does not always perforate completely.
The other issue is the film itself. It seems to have a "film" on it. I have been using Edwal AntiStatic film cleaner. It doesn't seem as good as the old Kodak movie film cleaner.
I'm not sure if Edwal contains a lubricant.
I would appreciate it if others would comment on what tape splices and film cleaners they use for Super 8 in this video digital age. Thanks
Gary

--------------------
Gary S Lester

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2013 04:11 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if my reply will be much help to you, but I always lubricated the film after all the splicing had been done. I used a now obsolete product called 2.22, which was permanent; you had to buy a solvent if you wanted to remove it from the film. I used an Agfa Super 8 splicer, I think a company called Hama made tapes suitable for it. I haven't used a Kodak Presstape for Super 8, I think they are different; instead of using 2 tapes, one on each side, the Agfa wrapped around the film, leaving a space for the soundtrack. This year makes my earliest home movies 40 years old, and never had to replace the tapes.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 11, 2013 05:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary
Are you films camera originals, or second-hand package films? If the latter, it seems a previous owner has been over zealous applying some form of lubricant.
If so, clean each inch or thereabouts where you intend to make your tape join. You could use Isopropyl Alcohol B.P. for cleaning the short sections. Apply sparingly with a cloth.

--------------------
Maurice

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2013 07:08 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, so is it possible to use tapes on the FFujica splicer other than its own one?

--------------------
Maurizio

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2013 08:15 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any film treated with 2:22 WILL NOT take a tape splice. They used to sell a tin of solvent to remove the 2:22 before you had to splice. Strong stuff it was.

As Maurice says use Isopropyl Alcohol B.P. to remove any cleaner/lubricant, proberly a good idea to do this for every splice even if not treated.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC