8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bulbs - New Old Stock

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bulbs - New Old Stock
Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2013 09:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some "new old stock" CXL bulbs (Osram) off of Ebay. They are very old, judging from the price tags on the boxes ($6.95) ..my guess is from the 60's.
Looking at the interior of the bulbs they have a yellow tinge to them...I am inclined to believe that they have hours of usage....(they do light with a slight warm cast).....opinions? A quality brand bulb unused, manufactured 30 years ago...will it have the same lumination life span as the newly manufactured item?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 13, 2013 09:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What usually makes a lamp die is the tungsten in the filament slowly boils off and deposits on the inside of the glass envelope and when the filament becomes too thin it becomes fragile and breaks.

This deposition turns the glass gray and evenually black, not yellow.

If the bulbs really are zero or low hours, the filaments should still be full thickness and should run the full rated hours.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 14, 2013 02:19 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the "Mae West" lamp?

Old stock lamps sometimes have a problem with the seal between the glass and the metal holder, thus allowing loss of the vacuum, but in this case they would often expire the moment power was applied.

Your "new" lamps sound a bit suspect. I suggest you take up the matter with the eBay seller with the possible claim for a refund.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 14, 2013 06:44 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed,

If there is oxygen inside there the tungsten will basically burn up as soon as it gets hot.

This would be very quick, so if you get much past a couple of minutes you are probably OK.

I wonder if maybe the yellow tint is an oxidation of a coating on the outside of the envelope.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC