8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 800ft s8 reel [rare?] (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 800ft s8 reel [rare?]
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 23, 2013 06:52 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the US a "lift" is something people put in their shoes to look taller!

Years ago I had my first morning of being unemployed and I was e-mailing back and forth with a UK 8mm Forum Member about how I planned on putting my career back together. I wrote "Step one is have my oatmeal." He wrote back "What do you use the oatmeal for, porridge?"

-once again: here "porridge" is something fictional little girls steal from families of bears!

(In real life nobody steals food from bears! It would be better, if not slower, to starve!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 23, 2013 06:58 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And how do you call "porridge" in the US ?

--------------------
Dominique

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2013 07:14 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very funny, Dominique!

Anyway I second all those who have already mentioned quality Vs quantity. In fact one should also consider that two heads are better than one but there are "3-head cassette decks" around. In this case too the word "head" is kept singular" because it refers to a quality or characteristic (i.e. adjectival use) of the piece of appliance involved.
Whilst on the topic of spelling, another thing that I keep noticing is the use of "they'are" instead of the possessive adjective "their", or "it's" instead of "its"; these features keep coming cosistently, no matter it is Brit-English or Am-English... Maybe the English language (as the Italian language) is losing some self awareness on the part of its (it's?) users (?) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Maurizio

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2013 07:48 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whilst on the topic of spelling, another thing that I keep noticing is the use of "they'are" instead of the possessive adjective "their",
This is something that I see a lot, "they're" being the contraction of "they are",it's surprising how often it's used instead of the possessive adjective "their". I had wondered if it was an example of American English, but have come to realise that the same rule is applied on both sides of the Atlantic, but misapplied just as often on both sides too!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 23, 2013 08:38 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we call porridge "oatmeal". I suppose if you go out to breakfast at a place with carpeting on the floor, napkins on the table and no visible cash register they might actually call it "porridge", though! (Could double the price!)

The "there", "they're" and "their" thing makes me cringe!

-even worse when I catch myself doing it!

Hear! Hear!...Here?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 23, 2013 08:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doing porridge is Cockney rhyming slang for doing a spell in prison.

--------------------
Maurice

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2013 10:44 AM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the deep south, if you ask for a coke at a BBQ place or small meat and 3 type restaurant, or many fast food places for that matter, they will ask you what kind of coke you want: coca cola, pepsie, sprite, dr. Pepper? Wierd, but quaint.

I hope we don't start doing that with all hot cereal. What kind of oatmeal do you want? Oh, cream of wheat, thank you.

When we were in school, grammar was punishment, do we were all very, very well behaved. I didn't learn the difference between an adjective, noun, or verb until taking German in high school.

Anyway, I hope our friend Dimitris found what he was looking for [Wink]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2013 11:50 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overheard whilst on a cruise ship with many passengers from the southern states of America, by a lady who had been conversing with a british couple from Northern England, to her companion. "Why don't they speak English?" to which her companion replied "I think the answer is in the word English". Ken Finch. [Smile]

Dimitris Mpakirtzis
Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2013 12:19 PM      Profile for Dimitris Mpakirtzis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, I think that the Greek and the German languages have the same structure... [Big Grin] but I can't remember which one is the oldest... [Wink]

No, I have not found what I am looking for, hunting continues ...

--------------------
film is alive

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC