8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Damaged Ebay situation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Damaged Ebay situation
Paul Zenisek
Junior

- posted September 24, 2013 10:04 AM      Profile for Paul Zenisek   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Zenisek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all! I just joined, and was hoping my first post would be a little happier. Just starting to get into film collecting, and wanted to pick up some Disney films for my daughter to watch. Found this listing, originally posted for $99 Buy it Now, then the seller changed it to auction starting at $20. No idea how much they're worth, but I figured that was a decent price, especially if it's something my daughter could watch.
Got them in the mail, and then package had some pretty heavy damage, including some rips and one giant dent drop where tape had been used on the outside to fix it. The drop went through and punctured the cardboard box, even broke the styrofoam packaging inside. The only packaging he used was a padded mailer sleeve, no cushion protection inside. Even a simple bubble wrap layer would've probably saved it all, but to have it just floating inside a flimsy cardboard box felt cheap.
I don't know how I want to proceed, because the films are in perfect shape, the boxes look great, i'm not sure if they've even been played much at all. There's also a big tear in the front of the main box, which wasn't visible from the photos. Even in typing this out, it seems petty, but I'm more sad for a piece like that in good shape to get wrecked during shipping over anything else. I want to keep them, the films and film boxes are in great shape, but do I ask for a partial refund? Just let the guy know about it?
Here's a link to the listing

Anyway, glad I found the forum, seems like a great group!

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 24, 2013 12:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the films inside the reel are not damaged, you are OK.

We watch film not the box. Seriously!

quote:
do I ask for a partial refund?
C'mon.... this is only $19.99 films.

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 24, 2013 12:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats even worse now is that, with they're "new and improved" shipping method, I'm all screwed up.

The situation ...

The film "Rocketship" sold, to a fellow over in Germany. However, somehow, they're automated system has a air terminal in Kentucky as the shipping address, so ebay, upon the sale of the item, immediately sent an invoice to the person, but with US postage.

The person, even by eBay's own reckoning, lives in Germany and therefore, it needs to be sent to Germany, but since it already sent out an invoice, it is not allowing me to send a new invoice with the proper shipping amount to Germany.

I'm going to call ebay today to see how to get this corrected so I can get the proper invoice sent and get this transaction completed ...

GRRRRR!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget about it. You said the films are in perfect shape and the boxes look great...but want a refund because the shipping container was damaged? I think the seller (and Ebay) would tell you that you have no case for a refund claim.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 24, 2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Simply use the "contact the buyer" feature to send the shipping amount to the buyer. Ebay can't stop you using that.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 24, 2013 01:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The box probably has collector's value, and if somebody paid a premium bid to get the boxed set I could see them being really torqued off about it.

The fact that it was only 19.99 takes a lot of the sting out of that, though.

To start with, for the benefit of the seller and the next guy (or gal..) he ships to you should let him know what happened. Depending on the response I'd leave no feedback for the seller and maybe consider leaving negative feedback if you are annoyed enough.

Welcome Paul!

Enjoy watching your films with your daughter!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 24, 2013 01:25 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact the seller and let him know to pack more carefully next time. Then leave positive FB. The films are OK so your good to go! [Big Grin]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2013 03:10 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the picture in the listing, to me it looks like all five films were in one special box. If the box is damaged this will lower the value.

What size reels were the films on?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Paul Zenisek
Junior

- posted September 24, 2013 05:23 PM      Profile for Paul Zenisek   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Zenisek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup David, you're right, the box is actually part of it, so a gaping hole in it does hurt the display factor. You're also right though Barry, if I bought the films loose the actual film boxes would probably be in bad shape, and as a comic collector I know how fast paper/cardboard can degrade, so still happy with the purchase! The seller looks new to ebay, feedback of six, so since I fell like I got a good deal I'll probably just write and let him know what happened, especially since I still want to keep them!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 25, 2013 02:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
I think you are doing the right thing with the seller. Please tell us if the films were sound or silent, and were they 50' excerpts, or on 200'spools?
As David says, we assume this was a special Disney boxed offer, presumably perhaps sold at a reduced price to introduce their films to new projector owners.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Zenisek
Junior

- posted September 25, 2013 11:07 AM      Profile for Paul Zenisek   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Zenisek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Dave and Maurice's question, yup, they're 50' reels. 4 boxed films, and one bonus "Mystery Movie," where you won't know what it is until you spool it! Haven't ran them through yet, but from pulling it out the first frames look like a BW short. Once I get a look at them, I'll be sure to post a film review!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC