8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bauer T50 motor problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bauer T50 motor problem
Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2013 09:15 AM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to all members of this forum. It's long ago that i have posted in this forum, the last time must have been 5 years ago. Since then i have been living in Germany, consequently i have really forgotten my english. I am apologising in advance.

Yesterday i got a Bauer T50 super 8 projector from ebay. Although it worked from the beginning, i did the usual care, cleaning and lubricating the inside. Afterwards it got a really quiter operation. While watching a film the motor suddenly stopped. The lamp kept on working. At the same time some hum could be heard. I opened the back case and realised, the hum was coming directly from the motor, which got increasingly hot. No strange smell could be noticed. Helping the motor rotate wouldnt do any difference, it kept humming and not moving at all. I could not feel any resistance by manually rotating the motor achse. I may have exagerrated with the lubricate amount, must i say though.
After shaking the projector i turned the equipment on and off repeatedly, suddenly the motor did start again and progressively lost speed till it stopped again. The hum has been the whole time apparent.
I would be grateful, if you could help me solve this. I have missed watching my movies.
Thank you in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 28, 2013 09:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it has a capacitor start motor then it is faulty. Some 16mm Bauer projectors have them, but not sure about their Super 8 machines.

The charged capacitor provides a boost to start the motor, thereafter it can run on its own.

The T50 was first marketed in 1974 and is now quite old, if it has been stored in damp conditions the capacitor has "gone down".

Look at the motor and see if there is a large capacitor mounted on, or near, the motor. It may have started to bleed and will require changing.

--------------------
Maurice

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2013 04:49 PM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot for answering. There is a big capacitor on the right, which has no external signs of worn. Could it be this one? I took a picture of the inside, to make things a bit easier. Is there any other capacitor, that could possible need replacing?
The strange thing is that the motor stopped suddenly while watching a film.

Tassos

-

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2013 05:22 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Induction motors can be either capacitor start or capacitor run or both or neither. I suspect that big capacitor may be bad, though. Hopefully you unplugged the motor before all the magic smoke got out.

It could be that a winding in the motor is bad also, especially if it got hot and started to smoke. if you are lucky, it's just the capacitor.

you most likely can't tell from the looks of it whether it is good or not, you need to check or have it checked for internal shorting (no resistance to DC current), and also for excessive leakage, which will prevent it from producing enough current out of phase to aid rotation of the motor.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 01, 2013 02:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that the large silver coloured capacitor is the one.

I have just looked at one which was removed from my Bauer P6 (16mm). It fixes by a large screw and nut on one end, the other end has two slide-on tags. It's a 14uF, +/- 10%, 220 V, and is marked BOSCH MP.

See if you can read the details of its rating and try to obtain a replacement.

--------------------
Maurice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 01, 2013 05:24 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the capacitor started to bleed...can't you just put a band aid on it? [Big Grin]

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2013 11:59 AM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pasquale: nice idea!
I thank you all for the useful advice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC