8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » All B & H DCT users...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: All B & H DCT users...
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2013 02:55 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a look above directly above the mag head...just under the lamp. What is this white material protecting the head from the heat?????

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 29, 2013 03:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully NOT Asbestos! [Eek!]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2013 03:52 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought!!!! We need someone to confirm!!!!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 29, 2013 04:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's white and fibrous: asbestos
If it's white and smooth: ceramic

Even if it really is asbestos it's not dangerous as long as it is contained. It becomes a problem when people start machining it and releasing the fibers into the air. If you happened to work with the stuff for a living it was absolutely deadly!

Truth be told, if you are over a certain age and rode in Dad's car in traffic with the windows open, you have some in your lungs anyhow. It made great brake and clutch linings (other than the whole "dangerous"...thing) and as they wore the stuff was released into the air. It's certainly not good for you, but at low enough levels it won't make a difference.

They say when Bing Crosby made "White Christmas" they needed a nice puffy white material that would stand in for falling snow under the hot studio lights....guess what?

-and Glinda made Asbestos fall on Dorothy and her friends after they fell asleep in the poppy field!

Who's the Wicked Witch now?!!

[ September 29, 2013, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 29, 2013 08:33 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old Pathescope 200B 9.5mm projectors have a layer of Asbestos in the lamp housing for insulation. Along with the fan blowing air through the lamphouse, I think it could definately be a hazardous situation.
Collectors of vintage projectors definately need to be on the look out for useage of asbestos insulation in these old machines.
I have no idea how you could safely remove it though.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 29, 2013 09:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of cases where removing this stuff is a lot more dangerous than leaving it in place.

In it's own right it's amazing stuff: excellent insulator, completely flame proof, great sound deadener, but unfortunateley it took a couple of decades before people realized how dangerous it really is.

The nice thing about it (as hazardous wastes go) is that it's pretty easy to dispose of. If you expose it to high enough temperatures the fibers melt and when it rehardens it's just glass.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 30, 2013 03:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's white and rough, obviously to protect the head from heat from the lamp, which on the DCT is a 150 watt.
Whatever it's made of there's no need to touch it.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 30, 2013 04:27 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there are western countries still sell it to developing ones with little or no regulations or health care.

Also I think you can still get it in odd things from overseas like heaters etc sometimes.

Its actually floating around to a degree in the air all around us, its like a Genie out of a bottle, its perssistant stuff.

They do say MDF will be the new " A " when it pops. Though more to do with actually working with it.

Best Mark.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 30, 2013 05:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right Mark, MDF is very dodgy stuff which even contains formaldehyde as a bonder so use it at your peril. A few years ago concerns were raised about it being used in confined spaces along with fine dust inhaled from the wood. If you have to use MDF make sure it is made in Europe as outside manufacturers will no doubt be using much higher concentrates of binders.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2013 04:41 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scary stuff.

Formaldehyde 1

Formaldehyde 2

Asbestos

When I used to work for BT the fire stopping compound was asbestos based in the older building and most panels had a stick put on them warning you may contain asbestos.

This has got me thinking about exposure to it, I must make some checks.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC