8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » bolex sm8 service manual/belts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bolex sm8 service manual/belts
Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 07:39 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a service manual for one of these? Most of what needs doing seems pretty obvious, but one never knows.

I have read a bit about needing to adjust the main drive pulleys from the motor, but am not sure to what extent and whether there is special procedure for doing this. Anyone with experience doing this, please pipe up now!

Also, does anyone have specs for the belts needed? the large toothed/timing belt that goes between the spindles is in good enough shape for now, and I should be able to measure it and find a suitable replacement later if ever need one. The belt for the counter is gone, and I understand that these geared belts are no longer available, but I'm guessing a properly tensioned flat belt will work well enough. The belt that I most would like info about is the main motor belt, which someone has replaced with an o ring that looks a size or two too narrow for the job, making it too loose when on 18FPS speed.

The rest of this machine seems ok, a little dirty maybe, but that is easy to deal with.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this!
jon

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 05, 2013 10:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy a repair manual from Oldtimer Cameras in the UK.
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/manuals/bolex-sm-8-camera-manual-1472.asp

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 05, 2013 12:42 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the motor belt you're lookng for this ? http://transfer-lab.fr/4036-bolex-sm8

--------------------
Dominique

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2013 11:16 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be. The belt on there looks a little too narrow for the job, though it works.
the adjustable pulley just looks a little bit out of adjustment, and I was looking to see if there is a specific procedure before I fiddle with it and spend a lot of time possibly doing it wrong. I much prefer to spend a little bit of time and do it right.

I'm having some troubles also with certain films not projecting well. Old home movies in got with my Elmo st800 from eBay play just fine, but others that I have get bunched up around the sound head and first roller sometimes, and the sound is very quiet. This caused a frame of film to get melted on a couple different films... I'd rather risk the dreaded Elmo scratches people talk about than have any more frames get burnt up.

It may be this projector just isn't worth the trouble to mess with. It did come with a few nice goodies, so it's not a total loss if I never use it again.

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2013 07:44 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, the problem is getting solved by the projector going back to the seller. much easier that way! I'll stick with my elmo, which hasn't killed any films yet.

The older bolex 18-5 projectors are so nice...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 08, 2013 02:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very wise move, Jon.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC