8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex 18-5 super - no power to bulb.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex 18-5 super - no power to bulb.
Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2013 11:29 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet another projector problem... Thankfully there are one or two that run always!

My Bolex 18-5 super is functioning properly with new belts, but I can't get it to light up. I took a bulb that I know is good from an 18-5 regular 8mm machine and it wouldn't light in the super. I checked with a multimeter and got no voltage at the lamp base either. A resistance check shows that the switch is at least nominally functioning, as it shows open when the machine is in a "lamp off" position, and shows a small resistance between 4 and 10 ohms in the various lamp on positions. I haven't traced the circuit back yet to the transformer as I don't have the proper wrenches at home right now to take the cover loose.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? I seem to be really unlucky and machinery finds new and interestingn ways to break or fail just for my benefit. I really hope I can find a solution as this seems like a really nice machine.

-jon

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 06, 2013 04:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should be able to poke an ohmeter into the two terminals of the socket (power off!) and see a low resistance when the bulb should be "on" and open circuit when it should be "off". If you see "open" all the time you probably have a disconnect. If it looks OK then no power is coming out of the transformer.

If the 4 to 10 Ohms is real that's a lot. A 50W, 8V bulb is a little more than an Ohm. With 4 to 10 Ohms in series, you probably shouldn't even expect "dim", but this may just be a film on the contacts that will break when you put some energy in the circuit.

It's seeing zero volts on the socket that's the real sign of trouble. 4 to 10 Ohms is nothing compared to the 10 million ohms a decent voltmeter is.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2013 04:41 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

My tests were without a bulb in place. When switched "on" it showed some resistance that I imagine is the resistance of the transformer coils. I've got to go to my office and find my tiny wrenches that are for setting the points in distributor caps on cars to be able to to take the cover off the transformers.

Showing zero volts on the socket when powered up in all positions. I'll have to look and see if I can find an electrical schematic for it, trouble shooting is much easier with one of those.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2013 01:28 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello Jon my name is Leon Norris of Leon's Projector Repair if you would like your projector fixed you can ship it out to me but email me back and let me know thank you Leon Norris

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2013 05:27 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the offer Leon, but it's probably not worth it for me to send off for repair. There are enough cheap ones out there that I can take parts from that I'll get it fixed eventually.

Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2013 06:44 AM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jon.
I had a similar problem with my Bolex 18-5 .
Cleaning the brass contacts behind the shifter (forward/backwards).
solved my problem.

Best regards

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2013 08:04 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Niels, I'll check that out.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC