8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Has anyone ever seen a F/L print of

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone ever seen a F/L print of
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2013 03:30 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gold or True Grit, Both Iver Film Services and Marketing advertised copies of these 2 titles, and I can honestly say in all the years I've been collecting (1978) to this day, I have never seen a F/L print of either title. Does anyone own a copy?

|  IP: Logged

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2013 06:35 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!dear friend,as far i know the full lenghts released by markting film were only permited only in usa and canada ,about true grit i,m in the same position you are i never saw a full lenght,but does existe that,s for sure,the film gold i only know the version of iver in 2x400ft scope,inever heard there,s also the full leght...
i belive that someone as the full leght even out of this forum
maybe it will show up some day

regards:
luis caramelo

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 15, 2013 08:27 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your talking about Gold with Roger Moore. I have a 600' version of it by IFS. I'm assuming it's actually the 2x400' version on one reel. Still has great color and sound. Not for sale though.

PatD

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2013 10:08 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luis,

you're wrong, many of the Marketing F/L prints were sold outside the U.S.A. and Canada, I bought many years ago Barbarella F/L and The Longest Yard (The Mean Machine).

Pat, you're right about the 2x400' (600') of Gold, but it was also advertised in the U.K. as having a F/L print, and supposedly in Scope too!

I wonder if they did ever appear, of course it could be master material, but I've had both Gold & True Grit digests many times, and the master used for those were excellent, so it is a head scratcher, they were definatley advertised as available, but has anyone got a print?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2013 12:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to find a full length scope print of "Shout At The Devil". I hear that they did exist, but only as film library prints.

Still, no doubt, some lucky son of a gun probably has one out there!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2013 02:27 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct about them selling features not just in USA & Canada. I bought at least two direct from them in New York after joining 'Marketing Film Club' "Murder On The Orient Express" was one I bought. All the features I have came in a plain box with just 'Marketing Films' printed all over the box, and a sticky label with the title.

The box must have been a standard size to fit all the features, mine had crumpled newspaper to fill the space.

Derann also sold the features too.

Osi. I have just bought a copy of "Gold" 2x400ft but missed "Shout At the Devil" This I have in 16mm, but its a mix of scope and flat.

I would like to have all three of the films mentioned here.

I remember seeing "Gold" four times at the Barnsley Odeon in the days when you could just sit there all day. It was shown for two weeks.

"Shout At The Devil" seems to be one of those films that gets cut and messed with.

Iver released trailers to both these film on 200ft reels. They did make a good digest of both films. Action packed slam bang action.

Did anyone ever visit Iver? I went when I took my GS1200 for a service at CZ Scientific which was not too far away.

What a thrill to drive through the famous gatehouse and say we were visiting Iver Films driving past the mansion house on the left and past all the old props lying around.

They were located at the time we went in a portacabin in what seemed like deep in Pinewood. I bought "The Legend Of Frenchie King" from sales executive Wendy Moorhen.

I do believe at one time they were going to start a film library.

Would 'Marketing Films' be the first to issue titles on polyester stock?

Getting nostalgic for the old days again.

Here's a link to Iver Film Services website.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ralph Gill use to have a 5 x 400ft flat print of Gold in the PM Films rental library in Beaconsfield its the only one I have ever seen.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2013 03:36 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder who bought that when they closed? The old adverts for Iver did say that the features were flat.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2013 01:49 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looked at the Marketing Films catalogue 80/81 the only titles that were USA & Canada only were:
Murder On The Orient Express
Death On The Nile
King Kong
The above were EMI in the UK. Not Paramount
Emmanuel Joys Of A Woman (The digest was from Columbia)
Death Wish This is Paramount

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2013 04:00 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

with reference to Barry's original question - I do remember an advert in Movie Maker from the early 80's - Starrwood Films which I believe were based in St Albans - were offering True Grit for rental - that's what made me originally believe that copies were available in the uk. I have been after a full length print of this film for at least 15 years - I've got the 3x400ft marketing release - which is a great substitute - but I would love to own the full print that marketing released.

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I remember, however, Marketing Films, for some odd reason, printed the 3X400ft digests of True Grit" ect. on good film stock that still looks great today, but the full length prints tended to be on fadey Eastman.

War of the Worlds is a print like that which, while the 3X400ft prints look absolutely stellar (as a general rule), the full feature is Eastman fadey!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC