8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ST-1200 question.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ST-1200 question.
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 29, 2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of prints in which part of the perfs are visible on the left side of the screen when projecting.
Are there any gate adjustments which will eliminate or reduce this?

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 29, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's more likely the prints are at fault and not lined up correctly when printed. Look at the troublesome prints against the good ones and try to see what I mean.
I believe that a lot of Elmo projectors show more on the screen than many other makes.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 29, 2013 04:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

when you say
quote:
Look at the troublesome prints against the good ones and try to see what I mean.
do you mean examine the prints physically?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 29, 2013 04:14 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Hold small sections of each up to a light together and examine with a magnifier to see if the positions of the perforations of each are different in relation to the position of the printed picture frame.

--------------------
Maurice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 29, 2013 08:14 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

If that is really distracting, cover a bit on the side (where the perfs are seen) of your lens with piece of paper.

--------------------
Winbert

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 30, 2013 01:31 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not too distracting. I just wondered if I needed to adjust something is all.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 30, 2013 10:36 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I think theoretically you can adjust it, but then the correct prints will have some trouble when you screen use the same projector.

I think this is a similar case with the sound head when the azimuth was not on correct position during recording. On your tape you will hear mumble (muddy) voice. You can correct it using the azimuth adjustment on your tape recorder' sound head, but the correct recording then will be heard muddy.

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 31, 2013 03:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael
I suggest you contact a Eumig expert in this matter, perhaps the friend who accompanied you last Saturday.
He was helpful when I had a similar problem with my GS-1200.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 31, 2013 02:08 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

Its an Elmo ST1200 and, yes, I shall certainly contact Kev about it.
Thanks.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 01, 2013 04:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael
Your problem with your ST-1200 and mine with my GS-1200 was an expansion of what said above "I believe that a lot of Elmo projectors show more on the screen than many other makes".

I bought a print of Walton's "Crazy Motoring" and had problems on screen with my GS-1200, on advice, I checked the print visually and it showed it was different from other "good" prints (it ran perfectly on other makes of projector.) This is when I was told about the Elmo gate masks being larger than many other makes of projector.

Perhaps other members have also found this with Elmos.

--------------------
Maurice

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2013 03:11 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree the gate aperture is larger than the average projectors. Also, the whole film transport assembly is less forgiving of films printed not exactly up to spec. In this case, though, I suspect a problem of print slitting: probably, upon close examination, you will find the area between the sprockets and the film edge is a bit wider than usual. At the end of the day, this is a print problem rather than a projector's problem, and in your shoes, I'd feel happy you can screen these prints without major issues, such as loop loss. It's not uncommon that a print out of standard, which can be correctly or at least acceptably screened with other makes, on ELmo projectors may be quite unsteady due to loop issues determined by unprecise ("borderline") slitting. Live with them, screen them, be happy!

--------------------
Maurizio

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 02, 2013 03:55 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Live with them, screen them, be happy!
Yep. I'm happy to do so. I just wondered if anything needed to be adjusted. If not, then I'll soldier on.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC