8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Scan 35mm film 1/32 ,8mm 1/4 compression,does it give same 500 kb quality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scan 35mm film 1/32 ,8mm 1/4 compression,does it give same 500 kb quality
Mustafa Umut Sarac
Junior

- posted November 01, 2013 07:58 PM      Profile for Mustafa Umut Sarac   Email Mustafa Umut Sarac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am an photographer and its hard to be a film guy in here , virtually there is no kodak film , no fresh developer or new 35 mm film scanner.

I decided to switch to 8mm few months ago , less film roll , more frame , better optics and better viewfinder , ergonomics and haptics and Leica 1930s look from paillard bolex c8.

I bought c8 and yvar 13mm f:1.9 and they are like new.

Now the big question , I scan my 35mm films for 17mb and compress them 1/32 for 500 kb.

If I scan my 8 mm film to 2mb size file and compress 1/4 , do I get similar quality finish from my work .

--------------------
Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul

|  IP: Logged

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2013 06:11 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it will depend on what resolution you are working with, and the quality of your scanner.

Super8 film has much larger 'apparent grain' than 35mm film. The grain appears larger in the final image, because the super8 frame is so small.
But the compression used on your 35mm is extreme, so the Super8 might look just as good or better, as it will have less compression artefacts.

Really though, much will depend on the quality of the scanner used.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC