8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What formats am I looking at for these films?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What formats am I looking at for these films?
Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2013 06:07 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on and off with film for the last 5+ years never really settling on a format and thought it may be an idea to get some advice on what formats some my favorite movies are available on.

I wanted to try and keep to 8mm just for space reasons and apparent availability. I tried 35mm but there's just no space here for the movies let alone the projector. 16mm wasn't too bad though it just seemed very few of the movies I was interested in were available (and most were flat/mono where I'm hoping really for scope/stereo).

So here's my list (minus any I know about), hopefully someone can help out:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1/2
Ghostbusters 1/2
Robocop 1/2
Short Circuit 1/2
Rocky (any)
Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Goonies
Back to the Future 1/2/3
Terminator 1/2
ET
Die Hard 1/2/3
Dawn of the Dead
Fight Club
The Matrix
Jurassic Park
Indiana Jones (any)

I realise that's a fairly large list but help would be appreciated, I love film but it's expensive (and takes up a lot of space, is hard to find etc) so I want to make sure I make the right decision this time and stick with it! I don't want yo be buying several formats for different movies really.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 03, 2013 02:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't offer much advice on format availability but I would observe that it seems quite unlikely that you could obtain all your wants on 16mm, and even if some are available you are looking at big money.

--------------------
Maurice

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2013 04:10 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of these titles are comparatively recent in film terms, and are likely to be available on 8mm in some form, though possibly in shortened versions, as the market would tend to cater for home enthusiasts with limited incomes.
Since the thirties until fairly recently most films have been made available on 16mm for the armed forces and educational purposes etc., so there would be endless titles available.
Expensive hobby.

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2013 04:20 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I know a few of them are on 16mm as I had them before but I suppose really I'm hoping to get as many as I can on 8mm for convenience. 16mm would be great but that lack of stereo is a bit of a sticking point for me. I imagine most (all?) stereo prints would be capable of Dolby Pro Logic, or at least if they are magnetic they could be re-recorded.

Now that Derann is gone (such a shame), where do people tend to get their prints? I saw talk of The Reel Image and CHC but looking at their websites I can't see any lists or anything.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 03, 2013 04:46 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Foster has Super 8 and 16mm films for sale.
http://www.fosterfilms.co.uk/

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2013 05:43 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re 16mm films toy have a good chance of picking some of them here
NORTHWEST FILM FAIR. NOVEMBER 17th 2013.

NEW LUXURY BLACKPOOL VENUE.

The next Blackpool NORTHWEST Film Fair will be at the HILTON HOTEL. North Promenade, Sea Front, BLACKPOOL. FY1 2JQ. The Hilton Hotel is situated approx. 400 yards from the Savoy in the direction of the Tower. It is a modern hotel with outstanding facilities. A large car park is situated at the side of the hotel, this is barrier controlled and the cost is modest. The dealer’s room is very spacious and has easy access from the service road at the front of the hotel. There should be no problems getting the heaviest of items in at this venue. There are numerous power points around the walls of the room. Lighting is of a very high level. Easy to see the dust even on the darkest items offered for sale. There will be an enlarged space for the Bring & Buy and Auction, also an area for tables & chairs where weary legs may be rested whilst you have a chat to old and new friends.

There will be a nicely appointed cinema with approx. 70 upholstered seats, details of the 8mm and 16mm film programmes will be announced nearer the time, but it is also hoped to have something special again.

Food and drinks will be available in the Restaurant and Bars. Hot Pot will be on the menu especially for Film Fair visitors.

The Saturday Dinner will be at the Hilton and as last year is being organised by Adrian Winchester. Call Adrian on 0208 6560168 for full details and to reserve your place

Bookings for dealer’s tables are now being taken, call Dave Guest on 07931926550 to book your table.

Accommodation for the Film Fair is available at the Hilton. A number of rooms have been reserved for Film Fair visitors. Bookings for these rooms MUST be made and paid for by

October 19th. early booking is adviseable as rooms are limited .To book a room call Julie Vincent at the HILTON on 01253 627977. Please have your credit card ready to make payment.

Remember. FOR THE VERY BEST, COME NORTHWEST. 4 star entertainment in a 4 star hotel
pics to follow shortly

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2013 07:30 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joel. What I do is stick to Super 8 and any movies that aren't on Super 8 I just get on BluRay for my 1080p projector.

The following are are available on Super 8 that I know of:

RoboCop 1/2
Rocky (don't know about sequels)
Alien
Aliens
Terminator 1/2
Die Hard 1/2/3

Still Being Produced:
Jurassic Park
Indiana Jones 1 & 3

I would start by going to the Reel Image website. Steve has a section where you can email him your film wants. But I suggest you send the list via snail mail. The address is on the site.

If Steve has what you're looking for then he let's you get dibs on it before it goes on the preowned sales list.

Most of the films you want are Derann and rare. So you need to decide how much they are worth to you. But most are stereo.

JPark and Indy are still being produced to order by The Reel Image and CHC. But the prices vary and they are rather high. Film rates go down depending on the volume of production. Not a lot of film production now a days. I would contact Steve for pricing. There are currently over dozen of titles that are still in production. Some searching on this forum will get you certain details.

Since you're lucky enough to be near a walk in Super 8 store, I would drive down to CHC with a wad of cash! Instant gratification is a rare thing with this hobby since we are all spread across the globe.

There may be many of these titles on Super 8 optical, which were used for airlines. You'd need to invest in a projector that does optical sound though.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 03, 2013 08:28 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joel,

Derann released three scope/stereo Matrix excerpts:

Playground Skirmish 200' (Reloaded)

Freeway Frenzy 400' (Reloaded)

Storm of the Sentinels 400' (Revolutions)

They also put out the animated 250' Final Flight of the Osiris

Dawn of the Dead was released as 3x400' cutdown by the German company UFA.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2013 04:54 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys that's great info and exactly what I needed.

I had no idea Indy 1 & 3 and JP were still being produced (odd though how Temple of Doom isn't?)!

It'd be great if some intermediate could help these distributors modernise (paypal, credit card checkout etc), I'm sure it'd give them a lot more business and help sustain the niche market.

Thanks by the way Doug, I was aware of those but I honestly detest anything after the first Matrix movie. I just feel like it was great on it's own and Reloaded/Revelutions were contrived crap. Just one guy's opinion of course [Smile]

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 08:56 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, having just trauled through the BFCC website I think I am now set on Super 8 [Smile]

Thanks all for the help!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC