8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Top 10 Tom and Jerry's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top 10 Tom and Jerry's
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 01:39 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which in your opinion are the top 10 Tom and Jerry's ? ( 1 is the very best)? Rate by funniest content NOT print quality.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 01:58 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one with tom riding on the train Kitty Foiled. The expression on his face is priceless.

-

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 08:15 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Jerry and the Goldfish" with the brilliant ending where Tom thinks he's over the worst whereas in reality he is heading off into space. I wore out the 50ft silent version as a kid!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 11:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me number one would have to be "Cat Napping"

Its hard to choose the rest, but do have a soft touch for "His Mouse Friday" as that was my first T/J bought way back in the 1970s.

My second choice would have to be "Cat Fishin"

3...Two Mouseketeers
4...Cat Concerto
5...Night Before Christmas
6...Tee For Two
7...Smarty Cat....Derann released this one...and is the only T/J I can think of with a home movie theme [Smile]

One of the joys of Super8 for me, was collecting the "Walton" Tom and Jerry cartoons... and they still look and sound good to this day..timeless stuff.....
 -

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2013 02:28 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really can not decide.Each one from the 1940-1955 era is tops in my opinion,(I have 71,so far!). It is easier to say what I don't like.Most of the post '55 ones where the design was simplified and uglyfied (sic),the humor was softened and they became friends (although I do have a number of Cinemascopes).The Chuck Jones ones,(I only have one,although I have seen them all).As much as I admire Jones' other work,his style just did not blend with the Tom and Jerry
concept.Curiously,I do like one or two of the Gene Deitch ones (!!)

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2013 05:33 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!it,s not an easy choice,but here,s these i prefer,

-CASANOVA CAT
-FIT TO BE TIED
-CAT FISHING
-JERRY,S COUSIN

REGARDS:
luis caramelo

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 09, 2013 10:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Kitty Foiled". Is this the one where Tom on the engine is bearing down on Jerry who is tied to the track. No-one can save him.........until the canary drops a bowling ball on the track to make a large hole into which Tom, and the train, disappears.

--------------------
Maurice

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2013 10:36 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice Spot on there. Like most comments here the later ones were not as good.

When you really study the Tom & Jerry's especially the earlier ones, each one as a work of art. From the drawings to the music. I think the "Trolley Song is featured in "Cat Fishin"

Brilliant is the only word to use.

Can you remember when they tried to ban the for violence. I was tell my daughter about that. Her words "Why its not real, its only a cartoon"

Another one is the 4th July title not in my brain at the moment.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 09, 2013 10:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fourth of July film is "Safety Second" (1950).

--------------------
Maurice

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2013 03:17 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic but still Tom and Jerry - Has anyone noticed how often music from the Wizard of Oz appears in their 50s films? Either they were doing it to promote the movie or it was cheaper to use in-house music, both being MGM. One example would be the ending to "Professor Tom".

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2013 01:05 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zoot Cat is one of my favorites and one I don't have. Saw this at a drive-in some years ago.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 10, 2013 03:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the Cineavision Scope prints are quite good.

One in particular I like is "The Egg And Jerry"

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2013 03:58 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me my absoulate favourite is Mouse in Manhatten. Not really Tom and Jerry more like just Jerry on his own as Tom only appears at the start and the end. A classic with an excellent soundtrack.

Graham S

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC