8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon projector forward movement problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon projector forward movement problem
Dan Esmond
Junior

- posted November 10, 2013 12:41 PM      Profile for Dan Esmond   Email Dan Esmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again all,

Back with an issue I'm hoping you smart folks could give me some pointers on. I bought a Chinon 2500GL off of ebay a month or two ago and as it turns out the one I bought has an issue which I have seen described in other listings for this projector--namely that it doesn't always advance the film when switched to F (and the takeup reel doesn't turn). When this happens the only way to fix it is to switch the main dial to R for a few seconds (R always works in my experience), and then try F again. Oftentimes F will then work, and keep working until the reel has been projected. But sometimes it takes several times switching between R and F to get F moving again.

Some nice seller on ebay actually recorded a helpful youtube video showing exactly this same problem I am having (if it would help you to see a visual). Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUojn10VBjw

So I've been just working around this problem, but it's becoming sort of annoying and so I'm wondering if it's possible for me to fix it. I wonder if it could be merely due to old, gunked up grease, or if it could be a belt problem, or if it's something electrical or some other issue. If it's very complicated to fix then I'll probably just try to live with it. But I've seen belts for these Chinons on ebay for a few dollars so if that's all it is then I could try my hand at replacing the belt.

Has anyone seen and/or fixed this particular issue before? I know these Chinons aren't nearly up to par with the Elmos and Eumigs but the price was right and it has a variable speed which I am hoping will help me avoid flicker in my telecines.

Much appreciate anyone's input on this.

Dan

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 10, 2013 12:55 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you open the projector to see how the belt looks ?

--------------------
Dominique

Dan Esmond
Junior

- posted November 10, 2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Dan Esmond   Email Dan Esmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to say I haven't been that bold yet. I'm not terribly mechanically-inclined (and I am new to projectors) but I would like to learn more about how these amazing machines work. I will see about getting the back cover off and see can inspect the belt. I take it I should be looking for signs of wear like would be seen in old car belts--cracks, glazed spots, lack of tension?

Still hoping maybe someone has seen a similar problem and can explain how they fixed it. :-)

Thank you!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 10, 2013 01:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you can try to do it to open the projector unpluged, then after having repluged it carefully (it is 220 volts, never forget that), run it and see if the wheel (the one close to the motor, not the one of the arm) is turning properly and if it is a belt problem. You may have a first idea.

--------------------
Dominique

Dan Esmond
Junior

- posted November 10, 2013 01:39 PM      Profile for Dan Esmond   Email Dan Esmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique.

I am in the USA, so 110V here but still dangerous [Wink]

I have removed the back cover and now I see better what is happening. When switched to forward the motor is turning. But apparently the design is that the shutter must turn for anything else to happen (the motor turns the shutter wheel directly, which then drives the frame advance and take up reel movement. When the projector gets stuck, if I use my finger to nudge the shutter wheel then it immediately begins turning and the projector works properly. So the shutter must sometimes have too much resistance for the belt to turn it. Maybe old grease and/or a belt that is a bit too loose? It's interesting though that I have never seen this problem operating the projector in rewind mode.

Anyway, the belt is a fairly inexpensive purchase on ebay and looks pretty simple to replace so I think I will try that first. If it doesn't solve the problem then maybe I will get bold and try to disassemble the mechanism to clean and re-lubricate it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC