8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Dates, etc, relating to early Hammer 8mm releases (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dates, etc, relating to early Hammer 8mm releases
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2013 02:52 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that slightly misleading post. D.J. Hurst was a film library who had a very good selection of titles. I hired "Mystery of the Mary Celeste" from him. Not sure who did the print though. It was in a few catalogues at the time.

He of course had all the 'Hammer' releases available. When he started to close his library due to ill health I bought loads of films.

The "Hammer Movie Magazine No2" was from Derann 400ft.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2013 04:04 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am fortunate to have copies of both Mystery of the Mary Celeste and Spaceways on 8mm. Are there any other known 8mm prints of these older, non fantasy, Hammer Films?

I know The Four Sided Triangle was mentioned but not confirmed.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 14, 2013 10:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four Sided Triangle, if it was released, certainly could be classified as fantasy. The only Hammer film that's earlier than 'Women Without Men' (1957) that may have no fantasy elements is the Dick Barton release on Std 8. But I say "may have" because it could be the Barton film featuring a madman with a death ray, which would arguably make it fantasy! It's unfortunate that no one has been able to identify which Barton film it is, especially as I have the Std 8 trailer to it somewhere, and I've wasted hours searching for it!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2013 06:14 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found my standard 8 trailer for the Dick Barton film.
It's "Dick Barton Strikes Back"

Had to dig down deep to find it, and cheat I have no standard 8 projector at the moment. At least you can just view a frame on a super editor.

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2013 08:36 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember back several years ago an ad in a publication of someone trying to sell an 8mm feature length copy of Vampire Lovers. This was the only time I have seen any mention of this film on this format. Maybe someone else could confirm if this ever existed.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 15, 2013 09:25 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of a 'Vampire Lovers' feature, although I believe someone on the Forum mentioned getting an Italian Super 8 edited version (2 x 400' or 3 x 400') not so long ago.

But there certainly are both feature length and edited versions of various Hammer films on Super 8, pirated in small quantities. E.g. I used to own 'Horror of Dracula' (full length US version) before the Derann release and it was clearly filmed off a screen in 50 foot lengths! The sync was OK but not perfect. It was just about watchable and must have seen better in pre-video days. I heard of a 4 x 400' of 'Taste the Blood of Dracula' that I believe was produced in the same way. I don't think these were one offs as I once saw a list offering various films that could not be legal releases.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2013 07:14 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!fellas,i do my self got the :vampire circus,great print from derann,full lenght 3x600ft,released by hammer...

regards;
luis caramelo

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2013 11:27 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William Powell advert from MM Oct 1970 "The Phantom Of The Opera" Herbert Lom Hammer in both super & standard 8 10 reels Cost £35 Black/White

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2013 03:52 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, I'm sure you are aware of Moon Zero Two having been released by Ken Films 200 ft silent. Fun little digest. Just don't want to leave any stone unturned. Look forward to your article.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 16, 2013 09:17 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy - I do, but thanks for mentioning it - you can't be too careful! 'Moon Zero Two' 8mm b/w silent has the distinction of being the only home viewing version of the film for decades! I temporarily had both the Std 8 and Super 8 versions, and just kept the Std 8 because it's longer.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 17, 2013 07:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

Sorry to come to this thread so late.

The first Columbia catalog I have that lists "Curse of the Mummy's Tomb" is from 1971. I don't have a 1970 catalog, but that title does not appear in the 1966, 68 or 69 editions.

I doubt if Columbia ever released sound versions of "Revenge of Frankenstein" or "Curse/Mummy's Tomb", or at least not with the same edit as the silent versions. Scenes are started/ended in mid-sentence and are used for the way they look rather than any dialog that was being spoken, especially with "Curse". I've seen sound striped copies of these, but these were done by collectors.

Here's a relevant section of an Americom catalog that should help you out:
 -
The last column lists Standard 8mm sound striped prints of "Snow White & The Three Stooges", "Curse of Frankenstein" & "Horror of Dracula" as being available in both B&W and color.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 17, 2013 08:49 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, Doug. You have confirmed that the 'Birth of Frankenstein' extract was b/w only but also available in 50'. I was assuming that the striped sound versions were Std and Super 8 but it looks like they were Std only.

Regarding the 'Revenge of Frankenstein' 200', I once came across and bought a German release with sound with similar box artwork, but unfortunately the sound and print were not very good so I didn't keep it long enough to make any comparison with the US release.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2013 11:38 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian can you please check your PMs. Thank you.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2013 05:28 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian do you me to upload some scans of some of Derann, Powell adverts from the film mags?

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 27, 2013 09:04 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David - many thanks for the offer but I know Phil is short of space with regard to fitting in all he already has in the way of visual content. But I'll keep your offfer in mind if there's ever another version published somewhere.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2014 03:00 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'Dick Barton' feature is 'Dick Barton Secret Agent' Derann ad from Movie Maker March 1972.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 08, 2014 04:03 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David - thanks for the info but I believe 'Film Collector' has now been printed, so nothing new can be included. In fact shortly before I finished working on it, I was assured that both DICK BARTON SPECIAL AGENT and DICK BARTON STRIKES BACK were released as Std 8 features, so they are both in the list.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC