8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex 715 views etc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex 715 views etc
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 11:16 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I just wondered if the bolex ( eumig ) 715 projector was any good. Do they have a front sprocket. I know they are the odd 1 spool axle job.

Are they a bit noisey compared to say an emlo or later 9 series Eumig ? OK on films and can you can a bigger picture lens ?

Any thoughts etc or want to sell a nice one cheap.

Do they have a sqaure 2 pin claw ?

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2014 01:24 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the same design as Eumig's earlier Series 900, which means side by side spools and NO upper sprocket.

Noise: just a tad noisier than later 900 models (those with upper sprocket) because of the long film stretch running from supply spool to the feeding inlet chute (film tends to oscillate quite a bit) but personally I don't find it annoying.

Performance wise this design leaves something to desire in comparison to the later models especially if you use spools bigger than 400': you get a "flywheel effect" about the last 10 meters of film or so whereby the claw (double toothed) tends to yank the film out rather than pulling it from the spool. When it starts acting like this, after the initial yank some more film than needed is pulled out and, because the claw now feeds from this supply, the feeding spool stops turning. When the reservoir is over, the film is yanked again, and that goes until the end of the last meters. On screen this translates in intermittant unsteadyness lasting about a second. The bigger the spool, the bigger the problem: in fact it's virtually non-existant with 400' spools or smaller, and everything runs smooth with 200' and 50' of course thanks to their lower momentum. So I'd suggest this machine and its siblings only for shorts or checking films just back from lab on their 50' spools.

In general terms the image is really rock steady, probably the best you can get in Super 8. And the machine itself, apart from what I described above, is very gentle on film, my S 926 never scratched anything, selfloading is perfect and if there is a jam, film protrudes from a small aperture right below the lens so the film leader is not damaged. The coax-spool design with the mono sprocket assembly is the only (not-so-negligible) real flaw in the design of this otherwise excellent range of projectors. And if you really feel uncomfortable with it, go for one of the later models from Eumig (932 and up).

--------------------
Maurizio

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 01:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio has perfectly described the problems with Eumig's coaxial reel projectors. I had two Eumig 926GL Stereo projectors and they all ran perfectly with spools up to 400ft. But the 600ft reels always showed the film jerking and thrashing effect that Maurizio has described. If you don't mind restricting your films to 400ft they are really outstanding machines with truly superb film steadiness and the best quality sound. Best bet though, as Maurizio has stated, are the 932 and up models, all with traditional in-line film path and two sprockets.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2014 01:57 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Paul: "jerking" is the word I should have looked for.

--------------------
Maurizio

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 02:15 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my 715 six years ago for £30 from a then well-known dealer (now deceased), I asked him what was wrong with it at that low price and he replied that there was nothing wrong, the reason it had not sold and was now offered at a "knock-down" price was that nobody liked its concentric spool system.

Getting the film onto the take-up spool is quite a problem unless you have an auto-load spool.

It's vitally important that the projector includes its removable feed spool adapter.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 06:27 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all. I suppose maybe the SM80 models are better than the 715 then, usual spool layout and I think maybe a front sprocket.

Anyone know the claw situation on those ?

The sound, sounds !!! good. I wonder if these have harder heads than the later 900 series Eumigs ?

Never used a Eumig type since the 80`s. Wow where does it go so fast.

Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 02:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eumig clone. Two claws. Two spool arms. Front sprocket.
http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_bolex/bolex_sm80e.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 04:48 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thanks Maurice. Might keep an eye for one very cheap then to try.

2 claws is far better than the small round one on dual gaugers.

Anyone had any experiance of the speed issues. Do these disc things repair etc, or redo.

I had a listen on youtube and they sound very loud, mind you everything does on there.

Do you have one Maurice ? Like it ?

Thanks again. Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 05:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I have an SP 8 E which is great.
http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_bolex/bolex_sp8e.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 05:18 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you can do track to track on the twin track versions.

How do you find the SP noise wise then Maurice, compared to other makes.

Sounds nice.

Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 05:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like all its Eumig brothers of this type the motor/fan is slightly noisy when in "waiting" mode but when switched into "forward" position they run at about the same noise level as any small Super 8 projector.

--------------------
Maurice

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2014 11:44 AM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you want quiet, then the little Agfa LS projectors are pretty good, if a little plasticky. The later Eumigs (936, 938) can be extremely quiet running too in my experience.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC