8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What's a good reg 8 projector?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's a good reg 8 projector?
Gary Huggins
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2014 09:57 PM      Profile for Gary Huggins   Email Gary Huggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone recommend a silent regular 8 projector?

Eumig and Elmo seem to be the consensus answers when this question is asked about Dual or Super 8 projectors - how about for sturdy, silent regular 8 projectors? Are there more options?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2014 01:33 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bolex M8...built like a tank, easy on film, bulbs easy to find, can run damaged film with nice loop restorer under gate, varible speed control, 400' reel capacity and visually a thing of beauty...

-

I've been in love with mine ever since I got it!

Bill [Smile]

[ February 10, 2014, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 02:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is definitely the later version of the Eumig P8.

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 03:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eumig 610D run forever and a favourite machine. Eumig did a LUX version of this with f1.2 lens or you could upgrade the standard 610D with a better lens. [Cool]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 06:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary is enquiring about a "sturdy" projector, hence my recommendation. The 610D is dual-gauge and in my opinion not in the same class (build wise) as the sturdy little P8.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EUMIG-P8-Automatic-8mm-Cine-Projector-Working-/121271203342?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&hash=item1c3c53b60e

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 06:48 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately the Bolex 18-5. Just about the sweetest running projector you will ever find. Almost silent when running, and with the rear sprung gate and Bolex HI-FI lens, pictures are razor sharp from coast to coast. And the flickerless 5fps capability is a nice feature too. And like the M8 that Bill mentioned, the 18-5 is a superb quality all metal machine and definately beautiful to look at. I recommend the basic manual thread version shown here. Threading is very easy and very fast, and you will never scratch a frame of film with this machine.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 10:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A word of warning for any member considering the purchase of a standard 8 projector which could be around fifty years old.

Make sure that any projector sale includes its mains lead.

Many projectors, particularly European, from the earlier vintage have mains plugs for which the mating socket connecting leads are no longer available. Obviously a lead could be made up but the line sockets were discontinued years ago.

Just look at eBay. Comments "unable to test as mains lead is missing" are very common.

You have been warned.

--------------------
Maurice

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2014 11:11 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice is right...I just recently looked up some M8's on eBay and one was missing the mains cable, the other the motor wasn't running but the bulb lit, etc. and they still were asking hefty prices.

The one I have was obtained at a local flea market for $20 and it runs perfectly, so I really lucked out. But keep in mind also that the newest regular 8 projector your likely to come by is at least 30 years old so you have to be careful with any auction that is "untested"...

Keep your eyes open at the flea markets and thrift stores and you may be surprised what you find...and you can carry it home!

Bill [Smile]

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2014 11:44 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Bill on the Bolex M8 being the best. The Bolex 18-5 is a great one but I would put it a step below the M8. I don't know why Bolex didn't put that loop restorer on the 18-5, it works magic. If you are going to get an 18-5 don't get the auto feed model, the best feature of Regular 8mm projectors is the lack of auto feed which is hard to find with Super8.

Another great one is the Keystone K109 or K109D. They are built like tanks, look great and the bulbs are still easy to come by.

Keystone K-109D
 -

Gary Huggins
Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2014 03:19 PM      Profile for Gary Huggins   Email Gary Huggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all!

Gary Huggins
Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2014 04:20 AM      Profile for Gary Huggins   Email Gary Huggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I picked up a seemingly mint M8-S which I am already in love with, and now I have two further questions:

1. The image isn't quite centered - there's a glimpse of sprocket on the left. How does one adjust the vertical framing?

2. How often does a 25mm or 33mm lens show up? I saw this in another post: "it can also be fitted with a 1.2 lens (from the Sears Tower/B&H's)" - are there certain models of the Sears/B&H machines to look out for?

3. The oil dispenser is hopelessly clogged - any trick for breaking up 50 year old oil clogs?

4. Will it take other bulbs besides the CZX?

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2014 10:02 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good choice Gary. Before you go any further make sure you get some oil in it. Add at least 6 drops to the red oil points to make sure the wik is saturated. The oil dries out over time and can cause the projector to seize up. Go to a sewing machine store and buy sewing machine oil, it comes in a handy dispenser. If the projector starts making nois it may be getting ready to seize up. Turn it off and add oil.

To answer your first question the little red knob on the front adjusts the framing.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC