8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Telecine projector w/ built in camcorders on ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Telecine projector w/ built in camcorders on ebay
Vin Collins
Junior

- posted March 28, 2014 01:34 AM      Profile for Vin Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone clarify something? I have been looking at the complete telecine transfer machines on ebay going for 2,000 dollars and more which include, the adapted projector for telecine transfers and a camcorder all anchored on a piece of wood...my question is, with the sound 8mm telecine projectors how is the audio transferred? I understand how the video would be transferred from projector directly into the view tube that is connected to camcorder but how exactly are you supposed to line up the audio with video?

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2014 03:38 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As previously explained on another thread.......
These machines use the "Camcorder" as a CAMERA feeding into a COMPUTER. At the same time, the AUDIO from the projector (taken from the film) is fed into the COMPUTER, which uses a CAPTURE program to CAPTURE both together in synchronisation.
This is done at 20fps (60hz mains countries) and the speed corrected in an EDIT program.

Some of the machines are designed to transfer at lower speeds. In those cases, the sound is recorded separately at NORMAL speed and married up to the video later in the computer

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Vin Collins
Junior

- posted March 29, 2014 02:01 AM      Profile for Vin Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin...okay I see what you are saying- I guess I was assuming that the footage is captured on the camcorder then the camcorder would be connected to a DVD burner and easily transferred on to a DVD- This would make sense for all silent 8mm films. But apparently its a whole different situation with sound 8mm films and it sounds much more involved when getting the film and audio to line up correctly? I kept asking the seller on ebay what the process would be when transferring sound 8mm film to video using his high end telecine system he was selling on ebay and he mentioned nothing about needing a computer to transfer/line up the audio with film//// What computer software is needed to transfer film and audio on to a DVD then???

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2014 06:27 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Capture is affected by connecting the outputs from Camera (Video) and Projector (Audio)to the computer via a CAPTURE DEVICE. This can be either a CARD in the computer (usual with HD Video, and sometimes for SD Video)or an external "dongle" connected by USB 2 or 3 (usual with SD Video, but HD versions are available).
The necessary Software for the Capture comes with the Device.
The Software for editing the captured Video and Sound, changing it to standard speed and burning the resulting DVD.s sometimes comes with the Capture Device, but there are many proprietary Programs capable of performing these functions.

Of course the Ebay sellers don't mention the computersyou will also need.... they don't want to put you off spending on what they are selling!

Martin

[ March 29, 2014, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC