8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Converting DVD to Super 8mm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Converting DVD to Super 8mm?
Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2014 03:23 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a three minute promo video I'd like to convert to film. (Super 8/Sound)

Can anybody steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Tim

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2014 03:46 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

I have done this several times but in PAL. My advice is to use a Full HD LCD TV screen in total darkness (the bigger, the better, but not smaller than 40") and use single frame to avoid 100% any frame blending. Of course the DVD must be played back frame by frame and the TV contrast control must be set at the maximum (a little less than that as regards brightness and much less for color saturation). The real problem I see here is the resulting film rate. In order to solve this problem, I need to know what type of rate/TV standard the DVD is. Also, what projection speed do you want to achieve eventually? All these info is crucial if you want to avoid motion stutter on screen.

The process is not an easy task: the camera must be aligned perfectly, the framing must be extremely accurate, more accurate indeed than most cameras' viewfinder will possibly allow (in fact I frame the screen directly on the film aperture for maximum accuracy - any Nizo with rear cartridge compartment door is perfect for this task).

I could do that for you (including striping and sound transfer) if you are not in a hurry and if you can supply raw film stock (no Aviphot ,if you need color reversal). If interested, PM me.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

--------------------
Maurizio

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 27, 2014 05:01 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be more than interesting to know the results. A problem that can occur if filming frame by frame is that many dvd players leave a "pause sign" on the screen and you cannot erease it. Maurizio pointed out that high contrast hi required. Someone once explained that in the fifthies and the sixties, they used special tv sets with high contrasts to make kinescopage. Of course, it was black and white so the results in colour may be less satisfactory.

--------------------
Dominique

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2014 06:55 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hook up a laptop to LCD screen using VLC. It will take away any superimposed things like time code or pausing.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 27, 2014 08:02 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't confirm whether they still do it but I believe the Andec lab in German were offering a DVD (or digital) to Super 8 service. No doubt it wasn't/isn't cheap!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2014 08:19 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to check out Niagara Custom Lab in Toronto, Ontario.
I know they have a digital to film service but check with them to see if they can do super 8.

Cheers
Terry

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 27, 2014 12:35 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both labs seem to offer only transfer on 16 and 35 mm. They don't mention super 8 on their site. Andec is indeed very expensive for this service http://www.andecfilm.de/html/video_to_film.htm

--------------------
Dominique

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2014 09:55 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might need to go in a different direction. How about 8mm film developing in the states?

Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2014 11:36 AM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use Dwaynes Photo in Parsons, KS. Log unto their website for prices to purchase and develop.

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC