8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 1200ft reels any alternative to Elmo?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1200ft reels any alternative to Elmo?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 12:59 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to put my features onto 1200ft reels. I would love to put them on Elmo reels but they are a little expensive these days. So...what is a good alternative to an Elmo 1200 reel? I purchased the blue Taylor Reels and sorry to say they are not very good. They are not true so when watching a film on them with every revolution you hear the scrape of the film coming off. Very annoying!
And if you have a favorite 1200 reel..where can I get some?

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 01:19 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, for me, only the Elmo reels have held up. Agree totally on the Taylor Reels, though this is the reels I use. They're the only cheap enough alternative. I did suggest to them to make them slightly different, but assume there won't be a change, as that's probably a high cost to them. If they used slightly sturdier plastic, they'd be a bit stronger. I have had films rewind onto the reel double. I mean the edges was pressed outward and widened. Only happened on a couple of reels though

Shame that Elmo reels are priced so high. How difficult and costly would it be to make a new run?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 05:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wittners sell brand new real top quality reels on par with the Elmo or Beaulieu large reels. Not cheap though, but superb for top notch features for those with deep pockets. In answer to Vidar's question, I reckon this price is probably close to what an Elmo 360m reel would cost if manufactured nowadays. These from Wittners are probably the only alternative nowadays if you insist on the best.

Taylor / Grasso large reels are indeed awful Rik. I have written about the drawbacks of these (and there are many) dozens of times on one link or another.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Bruno Heughebaert
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2014 06:00 AM      Profile for Bruno Heughebaert   Email Bruno Heughebaert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use these made by julio castells in barcelona
his mail : Julio Castells Guinart : taller@juliocastells.com
You may ask for a catalogue of his products including 8, super8, 9,5, 16 & 35 mm reels and boxes. Also long play units for these gauges.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 06:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
Wittner have unfortunately stopped supplying reels larger than 360m/1200ft for super 8. They do still carry a 600m split reel. But gone are the 480, 600 and 720m spools.
Their 360 reel is excellent, a studier retake on Posso's original metal reel, but as Andrew said, the price is a tad steep.
I will totally back-up Bruno's suggestion. Julio's models are magnificent.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 07:15 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan

Call Steve Osborne 937-296-9036. He actually has nice plastic 1600' reels that work great. I have been using them for a while. They are the same size as the 1200' reels but the hub in smaller.

PatD

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. I will check out taller@juliocastells.com.
Pat, I think I got the blue Taylor Reel from Steve. It has a tiny core so I can put 1600ft of film on there. i got 2 of them and they both were warped. Maybe I should get a hair dryer and bend them out. Has anyone tried that?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC