8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » slightly scatched films (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: slightly scatched films
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 16, 2014 07:02 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew - I've treated, at a rough guess, in the region of 30-40 film and never had a comparable result (or lack of result). If the scratches were on the emulsion side, I'd have to speculate that maybe the Film Guard (which I haven't used) managed to provide am effective barrier to the water, which surprises me but I suppose could be possible.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 17, 2014 01:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No Adrian you shouldn't be at all surprised because I suspect you are bang on with your judgement call there.

As the film was being raised from the bath after twenty minutes you could visibly note the barrier the Filmguard had made acting as a water repellent. The blobs of moisture just beaded on the surface of the film before wiping them off with a towel. It was reminiscent of how a cars bonnet appears in the rain after a recent application of Turtle Wax.

For me, luckily this means, that whilst if I am ever affected by flood damage up to my bedroom window in height (as if), my films should stay protected I suspect, but as they are all treated with Filmguard, the "soft" hot water treatment to eliminate emulsion scratches will never work on my personal film collection regretfully so long as the main deciding factor in the process is the surrounding of the water on the film rather than the actual temperature of the liquid itself doing all the work in covering the scratch by dye seepage.

As I am no chemist, I really have no clue to the answer to that question.

If Filmguard is the culprit in stopping this process from working then I think this is the first negative thing that I could ever level at it regarding it's protection of films.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 17, 2014 04:28 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew - Well, I think the 'barrier' can be considered a tribute to Film Guard's effectiveness, especially considering that it is applied so sparingly! I'll modify any water treatment information I mention anywhere in future, to say that it's not recommended for films previously treated with this product. I guess that may apply to one or two other film treatments as well.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC