8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Good deal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good deal?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 02, 2015 06:52 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought an Eumig 802, in box with microphone and two extra bulbs. Also included was a cement splicer (no value there) and a 400' Walton Live Ghost with sound as well as the reason I bought it, Goldrush, silent on 4x400'

Paid 75 GBP. Is that Eumig model any good? Was Super 8 only, it seems?

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2015 09:01 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think is a very good deal if it's an good condition.

Enjoy

Jon

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 02, 2015 09:06 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vidar, the S802 is the entry level projector of the Eumig 800 series. It projects, and mono records and mono playback, super 8 only films. It has 100 watt lighting, and a very basic f1.6 zoom lens. The most likely problem you will encounter is slippage of the rubber drive disc. This can possibly be corrected by wiping the rubber pad with alcohol and/or lightly sanding its surface. You will also notice mains hum on sound platback, which is inherent in the design of this machine. Hum can sometimes be reduced by slightly adjusting the position of the hum bucking coil beneath the sound head.
Do not expect too much from this machine, as I say it is the entry level version. The later HQS versions had faster lenses and much better sound electronics.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 02, 2015 09:49 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. One thing I don't understand from your comments ... Faster lens? I thought it was a lens, no more. It's not auto digital or anything, how can a lens be faster? Sorry for being stupid, but this didn't make sense to me. What does it mean concering the picture quality? Is it more blurry or what?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 02, 2015 10:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
posted twice by mistake on my phone somehow, apologies all.

[ February 03, 2015, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2015 10:17 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Vidar,

Faster means the lens allows more light and thus projects a brighter image. The lower the "f" stop, the faster the lens, for example a 1.0 lens is way faster than a 1.3.

You can get a faster lens for your Eumig if you so desire. The Eumig 802 comes with a f:1.6. Anything lower than this will be a "faster lens."

There a number of faster lenses that will fit your projector if you want a brighter image.

Regards

Jon

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 02, 2015 10:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
its just the terminology used Vidar for a very good lens as it allows light to pass through it much quicker therefore giving a much brighter screen image.That is why everyone wants f1.0 or f1.1 lenses as the lower the f stop, the more light and sharpness from the lens but usually to the detriment of a much smaller depth of field making focussing slightly more difficult.

Anyhow in brief, the "fastest " and most desirable cine projector lens is the f1.0, though as a compromise, some feel the f1.1 is the best as it has a slightly greater depth of field and is therefore easier to keep focussed across the entire width of the frame.

[ February 03, 2015, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 02, 2015 11:08 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, thanks, so it's really light output we are talking about. I bought a better lens from Mr. Adams before, so I do have a slightly better one, but will probably use my Eumig 810 or 710 still then. Only use those for Regular 8 anyways. This projector is not a keeper for me then. I did buy the package for the Gold Rush feature anyways, which I will keep :-)

Thanks again

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2015 06:32 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the term "faster" came from still camera lenses as the higher the aperture the faster the shutter speed you could use in the same lighting conditions.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC