8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Who released this print

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who released this print
David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2015 06:13 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

I bought a full length print of Tyburn's "Legend of the Werewolf" with the great Peter Cushing and Ron Moody and Roy Castle. I bought it from Lees Cameras many moons ago - and I remember asking Ged Jones from Derann if he knew who released it and he wasn't sure - just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this?

David

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 04, 2015 06:31 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NySTUO9lRlw

Best Mark.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2015 09:39 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,

Don't suppose you know who released it on super 8 ?

David

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 04, 2015 09:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen this title before on Super 8mm David so it will be interesting to find out. I think it's a bit of rarity that's for sure.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2015 09:56 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew,

I think it is quite rare too - it may not be up to the Hammer Standard of Horror films but for a film that I believe was released in 1974 - it still holds a certain charm and the sound and picture quality is good. And besides it has a really good cast.

David

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 04, 2015 10:04 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Are Lee's Cameras still trading BTW David?
I used to always go straight to their classified ads section in the days when I was buying Amateur Photographer. They always stocked plenty of cine equipment well into the 90's.

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2015 10:11 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,

I don't think they are - I bought several features from them - and "Legend of the Werewolf " was one of the last films purchased from their used list. I believe they closed down some years ago now.

David

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 04, 2015 10:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Such a shame David, as with all these once well renowned traders.

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2015 11:32 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Andrew,

Thank the Lord for Independent 8 and CHC and Paul Foster and Ian O'reilly - if it wasn't for these guys things would be rather bleak. I try and support each of them as often as I can.

David

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2015 12:07 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got really lucky as it was a rental only release put out by Rank Film Distributors UK in the late seventies so you now have possibly the only print in existence [Smile] well done.

Is the Colour still holding up well?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 04, 2015 12:15 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very special print indeed then!

--------------------

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2015 02:14 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There maybe more than one print around I recall this film was
Up for Auction on a well known Auction site some years ago
But yes very rare horror title on super 8 has colour faded ?

--------------------
t.smith

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2015 04:45 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well when I hire it had good colour. All the titles from FDA, Columbia and Rank were surperbe prints, must earlier than the peak of Derann. But they were expensive to hire

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 12:26 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks guys,

The last time I projected the print was several years ago - I will take it off the shelf and give it a screening today or tomorrow and report back. Glad that there are so many knowledgeable chaps on this site who are willing to offer guidance and advice. Thanks so very much.

David

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 04:39 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to say I hired it from Rank Film Library, they had quite a few in super 8 All for hire only.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 04:58 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,

Well I count myself as very lucky to have acquired it - as I said in earlier posts maybe not up to the Hammer Studios standard but director Freddie Francis did manage to do a good job and the sets and locations are well used. Also I love anything with Peter Cushing in - but with a supporting cast that also includes - Ron Moody, Roy Castle and Hugh Griffith and the great Michael Ripper - I think it's the next best thing.

David

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 08:41 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always enjoyed Legend too [Smile] I originally saw it on a double bill with the inferior Tyburn re make of The Ghoul.

Very well cast and nicely reminiscent of the old Hammer horrors of the sixties period of production.

No chance of a release on dvd or Blu Ray either these days as apparently Kevin Francis wants far too much money for the rights [Frown]

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 09:12 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea about that Mark, so if that's the case - I think I will hang on to this particular print as I doubt I will find another . As I said I happened upon this by chance - I guess a bit of luck was on my side when I got hold of Lees Cameras that particular day.

David

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2015 03:35 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a real keeper David [Smile]

Lee's used to have some good titles for sale I remember picking up features of High Noon and Spaceways on Standard 8mm for about £20 each back in the early 80's .

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2015 12:31 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice and information Mark and everyone else who gave support and knowledge of the print. I will post some pictures after I've screened the print. I thought it might have been a rare british horror print - but I never presumed it to be as rare as you guys think it is. Thanks for this - I will look after this print.

David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC