8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » An Odd Request

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An Odd Request
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 12, 2015 06:30 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently looking for an old non working ElmoST1200 or preferable 1200HD. All want it for is to experiment using my workshop repair manual, if i can find one beyond repair I'd like to completely strip it down and put it back together. If i do it to mine I'll have parts left over and it probably wont work [Big Grin] [Wink]
In other words, i want to practice. I am limited to my ability and its served me well but always fancied following the repair book which basically shows how to dismantle assembly's and then breaks each assembly down.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 12, 2015 02:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom aside from the pitfalls already suggested dismantling these particular machines, there are far more complex and challenging super 8mm projectors to work on than these.

With the Elmo's you get very good service manuals as a guide. If your machines do need ever to be worked on, you really should try and tackle the issues yourself if you have all the necessary tools and equipment.

You will learn plenty as you go and have the full back up of everybody here should something prove a step too far.

If you work in a controlled logical disciplined manner throughout each sub assembly you remove and dismantle, taking photographs and documenting each step as you go, you should be fine for most of what you are seeking to achieve on these machines.

They seldom go wrong electrically in my experience but even then working on one small section at a time with the test points given,again should give you a great working knowledge of these machines with just a little thought and research.

There are loads of experts on the Elmo machines so nothing is taboo on these.

Remember, seldom do projectors work perfectly after a major strip down,often it takes many tweaks and finite adjustments to perfect the running order, the secret is just to think logically throughout and don't panic the instant something isn't quite right once the machine is first reassembled.Just ask Bill! [Wink]

If for the most part, you can fix your washing machine, then you should have no major problems throwing in your hand on one of these.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC