8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » R-37 Projector Setup

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: R-37 Projector Setup
Mike Koebel
Junior

- posted June 30, 2015 02:28 PM      Profile for Mike Koebel   Email Mike Koebel       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Keystone R-37 projector at a garage sale in Chicago and am trying to set it up. I have never used an 8mm projector so please forgive my ignorance as I ask some basic setup questions.

The projector did not come with any belts so I ordered some off eBay that are supposed to be for this model of projector. However, I have not been able to find a manual or any other information online on where or how these belts (see picture) are supposed to attach. There are two rubber belts of varying size/thickness and two springs.

The projector does have an on/off switch but it does not seem to do anything. Instead, the projector can be turned on/off with a switch on the cord. I am assuming this cord switch was a later addition to the projector. The motor speed control appears to be working as expected.

The projector came with several old films so I would really like to get it working if I am able to get any guidance on how to do so. I really appreciate any advice that can provided.

-
 -

Thank you in advance!

Mike

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 30, 2015 02:49 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike. First, welcome to this forum. I don't know this model, so what follows is valid in general. As you asked for the basic : did you open the projector (the body and the arms) ? By doing this, you should easily locate the position of the belts. It can happen that a set of belts referenced for a projector doesn't fit (don't ask me why !) or that for some projectors the belts are not easy at all to repleace but in general it is ok. Your projector seems to be older than the time the manufacturers decided to grease "once for ever" their machines so you may have to put some oil on it ; usually, there are red dods that tell you were putting a drop of (sewing machine) oil.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 30, 2015 03:03 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
In general, rubber belts are used to drive the projector, i.e. from the motor to the mechanism.
Spring belts are for the drive from the mechanism to the two spool arms.
Often, the top spool belt can be altered to provide a film rewind back onto the feed spool.

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2015 06:30 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a different model Keystone, but the belt configuration should be the same. To rewind, the take-up belt is removed and the feed reel(top)is connected with a half twist to the belt.
 -

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 08:45 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any luck Mike?

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2015 03:59 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a one and done. Irritating when someone can't respond back. [Mad]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 10, 2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes very frustrating Barry after you kindly took the time to advise and help out a newcomer.

Oh well, that's the price I suppose by adding new members to the forum with one off needs.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mike Koebel
Junior

- posted July 10, 2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Mike Koebel   Email Mike Koebel       Edit/Delete Post 
All - my apologies for the slow reply as I have been traveling over the last two weeks. I was able to get the projector working based on the responses and diagram. I appreciate everyone's help.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2015 10:09 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all good, Mike, enjoy your projector.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC