8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex M8R

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex M8R
John Hunter
Junior

- posted July 17, 2015 10:23 AM      Profile for John Hunter   Email John Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if I can have some adise on the operation of my machine. I know the lamphouse gets very hot, but on this machine the whole thing gets hot. When I switch it to project it starts up slowly, and I would have thought it would start up as soon as other machines I have. Does that mean there is trouble with the risistances in the machine. HELP.

--------------------
j.hunter

|  IP: Logged

John Hunter
Junior

- posted July 19, 2015 08:15 AM      Profile for John Hunter   Email John Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I should have said my projector is a M8R. Please can someone exolain if these machines, when switched to run,start slowly, then get up to speed, or do they stsrt immediately.

--------------------
j.hunter

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2015 10:41 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine gets up to speed right away. The slow speed may be why the unit is heating up. The fan is not blowing enough air across the lamp. You may have a drive belt that is slipping or an issue with the capacitor for the motor, if it has one. Try turning it on without the lamp on until the motor gets up to speed.

John Hunter
Junior

- posted July 20, 2015 08:58 AM      Profile for John Hunter   Email John Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry. Many thanks for the info. It may be the motor capaciter as I always start my machines without the lamp been on. I thought it may be some thing to do with the reistances these machines are fed thru. Snag is I dont have an idea how to take machine apart!!
John

--------------------
j.hunter

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2015 09:24 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The R means that machine will run on a variety of different powers sources but I do not think there is a setting or adjustment. By removing the bottom plate, you can see wiring and switches very easily. I have not take mine apart any more than that, but there is a drive belt but to get at it you would have to get to the motor. I have not done that.

John Hunter
Junior

- posted July 20, 2015 02:22 PM      Profile for John Hunter   Email John Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Barry. I wii have to try and get at the resistances as if one of them, or part of one is going high, this may be the cause of slow start. Its done this since I bought it on ebay and had thought it may have been normal!! Thanks.
John

--------------------
j.hunter

Rob Watson
Junior

- posted July 24, 2015 05:16 AM      Profile for Rob Watson   Email Rob Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think its going to be the resistors. They are not like common or garden resistors. They are coils of wire, very much like the coils of wire in the element of an electric bar fire, mounted at the top of the projector behind the voltage selector plate. They are there to reduce the 240v mains voltage to the 120v the projector runs on. That generates a huge amount of heat. The top of the projector gets too hot to touch after a few minutes running. Its a pretty mad arrangement and one shared by the contemporary Specto projectors.
I think your slow running on startup is probably a sign that the projector needs lubricating. The user manual indicates the oiling points but you might have to take the side of the projector off to grease the gears.
Incidentally, there is a centrifugal device in all M8 projectors which prevents the machines from running too slowly. It exists to prevent the machines from overheating at low speed. If the projector is running below around 12fps you should hear the motor speed oscillating up and down.

Rob

John Hunter
Junior

- posted July 24, 2015 09:56 AM      Profile for John Hunter   Email John Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rob, for the info. From your info then the resistors may not be the problem, but as you say the machine gets very hot on the top, in fact the whole machine not just the top gets hot.I got it on ebay, some time ago, so it could indeed be the need for some grease on the gears; I have put oil in the oil holes. I wonder if the "old timers" have aservice manual for the M8R. Thanks Rob.

--------------------
j.hunter

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 24, 2015 10:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check operation of the fan as it supplies ventilation to both the lamp and the mains dropper. A lot of heat is generated by both items.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC