8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New reels in production - your feedback wanted!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New reels in production - your feedback wanted!
Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

Reading this forum and spoken to many people, I see a demand for new reels. Prices are rising, the number of producers and going down and also some specific reels are not made anymore. For example the large reels.

Therefore we have decided to start producing reels now using the latest technologies, making if affordable to produce these in low quanities.

We have come up with a modular concept where we can choose different centre parts and different plates.

Our first release is a special 9,5mm reel which fits on a 16mm film holder. This is especially handy if you use a filmscanner, like this one: http://www.filmfabriek.nl/

Here are some pictures of one of the prototypes:
(9,5mm film reel, 18cm diameter, with insert for 16mm scanner)
 -

-

Depending on the requested batch size we choose the most cost efficient production process (3D printing / plastic / metal)

My questions:
- If you are interested in this reel, please reply to this message on the forum (amount and price limit)
- If you are in need of other reels, please reply to this message on this forum.

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 25, 2015 08:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
18cm is a non standard width. I suggest it is the same width as a Pathe spool of 25cm.
As it is a 9.5mm spool, does it have removable centres for the spool to be used on a 9.5mm projector and a 16mm rewind?

--------------------
Maurice

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2015 08:56 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
25cm is no problem.
I think it is possible to change the design of the centre part so that it will fit on both 16mm projectors as well as on 9,5mm projectors (same design as above, but with 2 extra small holes)

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 25, 2015 09:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Edwin, for your reply.
I have a large 9.5mm collection in silent and sound and your suggested change seems ideal.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 26, 2015 02:00 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're amazing, Edwin. I would be interested in large capacities 9.5 reels. There are some features that doesn't fit 40 cms reels with a large core, so a maller one (but not too small to avoid tensions problems could be a solution). Will you provide cans as well ? It is difficult to forsee a quantity. Do you need a minimum one ? I hope of course, that you can keep the prices as low as possible and that it will not cost more thant the spools manufactured by Julio in Spain.

--------------------
Dominique

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2015 02:34 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the maximum size your filmprojector / longplay unit can handle?

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 26, 2015 02:57 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Buckingham can take a 40 cms spool, maybe 41 but not more. I have no 9,5 Long Play Unit. I have a super 8 Spondon one but that I want to keep for super 8 use only. If I could find another super 8 or a 16mm LPU, maybe it could be adaptated or I could try to have a 9,5 LPU made (I have a way) but it could be easier to use the existing projector capacity and that would allow other ninefivers to be able to respool their features as well. There are many 16 mm projectors converted to 9,5 in use.

--------------------
Dominique

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2015 01:11 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edwin, when you get to a point where producing a reel of such a design for Super 8 is reasonable, I'd be interested to know what it would cost to purchase and ship to the states. Other sizes too.

Nice work as always.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 27, 2015 03:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that as the Buckingham was originally a 16mm projector before conversion, the spool size should have the same diameters for 9.5mm as 16mm.
I have just checked a 2000ft 16mm spool and it measures 38cm overall with a centre core diameter of 19cm.
But we must not forget the users of Pathe 9.5mm projectors which have a maximum of the nominal 900ft spool which has an overall diameter of 25cm.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 27, 2015 05:54 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I measured the reel (800 mt) I got from Julio and it is 40 cms, as specifiated in his catalogue. There may be different models of Buckingham.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 27, 2015 06:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique
Edwin is proposing to have change-over centres for 16mm and 9.5mm. Would the Spanish sized spools fit on a 16mm rewinder. Would there be enough clearance?
On my two Rigby 16mm rewinds the maximum overall size spool is the one I mentioned above. This is the 2000ft spool, I also use 2200ft 16mm spools, but these are the same overall size (38cm) but have smaller centres.
The Elf ST/M series instruction book says that maximum spool size is 2200ft.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 28, 2015 07:08 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I don't know about the standards of large 16 mm rewinders. I have a large 9.5 one and the Spanish 800 mt reel fits on it but that is not a surprise as the rewinder comes from the same source. As I told you there may have been different models of Buckingham ; the spool I got with the projector (and which has also the name Buckingham on it) is 700 mt although the projector can take a 800 mt spool. I guess Edwin will be able to provide different sizes when he has find the best core system (I personnaly would prefer a 9.5 design rather than a dual gauge one but of course that would only be an esthetic plus, that's not a must).

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 29, 2015 02:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My interest with Edwin's new 9.5mm spools is their ability to be used on 16mm spindles (with their adapter), therefore, they would be of no use to me if they were bigger than standard 16mm spools as I wouldn't be able to use them on my rewinders.
I do not have a 9.5mm rewinder.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 29, 2015 02:41 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that technically Edwin will be able to provide sizes but the cost of production is probably the factor that will decide what comes on the market or not. By theway, I see in the Spanish catalogue that 16 mm rewinders are (or were ?) available for two maximal reel capacity sizes : one model up to 40 cms (the model I have in 9,5, it is also available in super 8) and one model up to 67 cms (67 cms).

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC