8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo stereo projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo stereo projectors
Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question, anyone know one way or the other if the Sankyo Sound 460 can handle stereo sound? If not, how bad will a Derann stereo print likely sound?

My last thread got eaten by the forum during the outage so pardon me for reposting this.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 03, 2015 08:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You need an 800 model for Stereo Jason. It's the only true Stereo projector Sankyo made.

In regards to your other question, it all depends very much on the quality of the stripes. Some balance tracks and in some cases even the main tracks can be dire, especially if pasted.

Others, on the other hand, can be superb and at times even pasted ones!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2015 09:20 AM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it called a "balance" stripe/track? I guess I'm trying to understand what is lost on a stereo print when my projector can only read the normal magnetic stripe that is usually mono.

I think some of this was answered on my original thread by someone but that seems to have disappeared due to the recent forum issues.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 03, 2015 09:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I read the original Jason. If the stripe was decent, all the dialogue and all but a few of the effects should still be heard from the main stripe.

The term balance stripe derives from the fact that when a second magnetic track was originally placed onto the sprocket hole side of the film as a concept, the idea wasn't to record upon it. It was just to keep the film even as it was spooled onto the reel, hence the term balance, as it balanced the thickness from one side to the other of the films width.

Obviously, as the film has a magnetic stripe originally only on one side of the film, it is thicker on one side of the film than the other until a similar thickness stripe was placed opposite.

It was only some time later that some bright spark came up with the idea that it could be utilised to give a second track and hence came about the birth of Stereo projectors and editors.

The balance stripe though incredibly small in width (0.4mm) did work very well indeed while ever pre striped stock was manufactured to the very high standards that it was.

Once pre striped stock was no longer available, companies were forced to stripe their own Polyester prints using a paste which varies drastically in thickness and consistency at times and therefore can, at times, result in very poor or non existent sound from the track.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 03, 2015 07:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the balance track is narrower then the main stripe, the sound recorded to this track will have lesser quality (lower sound and lighter bass). So in fact, the sound will not be balanced if you hook up the sound onto your stereo.

It needs an expert to make a good recording on super 8mm prints.

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 04, 2015 04:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert is correct. Due to narrow width of the balance track, there is a drop in the frequency range from main to balance stripe.
This however is often though, not as much as may be expected when all is good between the quality of the stripe and the magnetic head tracking on the recording and reproduction heads.(if different).

As for recording, if your stripe is reasonable to begin with, very often a much better recording can be achieved in the home than the original, so long as the heads are good, well aligned and your machine can be synchronized with a lossless digital master track.

[ December 04, 2015, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC