8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo-St-800 Potentiometers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo-St-800 Potentiometers
William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2015 03:34 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK So my wonderful Elmo ST-800 has just been damaged by me. I was adjusting the 2 potentiometers in the circuit board to adjust speed and they broke. Anyone know the specifics of these potentiometers and where I could get them? This pic is not mine. I got it from the internet.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 23, 2015 03:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell you what...

I can either measure mine or try to read a value off of them.

(Coupla' days...It's Christmas!)

I actually wouldn't replace them with the same parts. These aren't even a full turn from one end to the other. This makes the adjustments very twitchy. You give it a little twist and you go from too slow to too fast. You turn it back and now it's too slow again.

I can find you a more modern 20 or 25 turn pot: much more precise and less frustrating too. (Save your patience for something else!)

Ho! Hooooo!!!!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2015 05:03 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I appreciate it. I know what you mean about them being twitchy.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 23, 2015 05:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve really is a true ambassador of our great hobby.
He and Janice always go to great lengths to help anyone out here.

I think a special mark of recognition ought to be given here, for all their totally unselfish acts given out 365 "for the love of the game" so to speak, of our truly fabulous hobby!

Well done you guys!! [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2015 07:18 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that emotion!

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2015 01:49 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to all Members and Friends.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 03, 2016 10:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coupla' Days turned into a week!

OK, the two pots are two different parts, different values.

The one to the left is 40K. I found a 50K 20 turn pot which will do the job:

50K Pot

In order to hook it up properly, the center terminal would need to be connected to the leftmost one.

the other one is a 1K:

1K Pot

It's a direct hookup: right, center, left.

Both of these have the terminal on the top. I think the best thing would be to lay them on their sides and tack them down to the board with something like RTV. That way the adjustment screws will be pointing outwards towards you.

The best means to do the adjustment is some kind of plastic driver like this:

Bournes H90 Adjustment Tool

They stay on the adjustment screws better and you aren't fishing around live circuitry with a metallic tool!

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2016 10:35 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve. As usual, you've gone above and beyond. No need to apologize for any delay. Happy New Year!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 04, 2016 10:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's sad: I actually had the week off from work!

-my greatest achievement may have been the morning I slept until 10:00. (I haven't done this since college!)

I did assemble the new snow blower...what fun!(?)

-my old one jammed if I hit the newspaper (...and I did!)...this one may blow shreds across the yard!

My advice is before you go to adjust (-even before installing them...) turn the adjustment screw to a limit ("click,click,click...")and then turn it opposite about 10 turns to get right in the middle of the range.

This way you won't start up the machine at some whacky frame rate, but at least in the neighborhood.

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2016 12:59 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 04, 2016 01:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want to go for it:

Remove the old ones from the board first and measure the values. I had to measure them in-circuit and that introduces the shadow of a doubt.

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2016 10:20 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Thanks.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC