8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sound output from Eumig (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sound output from Eumig
John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2016 12:51 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What level of sound output can I expect from my Eumig S936 and Super 8 magnetic sound in general?

The reason I ask is because the level of volume from my Eumig when listening to the internal speaker is adequate - in fact it's pretty loud when I turn the volume up and too loud if I turn the volume control all the way. When I connect an external speaker, that's not bad either but depending on which speaker I connect I have to turn it up a little more than I would with the internal speaker.

When I connect the line output to a external amp, however, I really need to crank up the sound. In fact it doesn't go loud enough. I've tried different amp combinations and cables so I know it's not them that are faulty. My Eumig hasn't had a lot of use and the heads are clean and I don't think they are worn (both track one and track two are of similar loudness). It just seems to be quieter via the line output. Is this to be expected from Super 8 sound or do you think there may be a fault with the Eumig?

The sound system I use with the Eumig is a Meridian F80 which does go loud - just not when connected to the projector.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 10, 2016 03:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There may be something more going on here than just the signal strength. My 800 series Eumig has an internal 50,000 ohm resistor in series with the output. The typical amp input is 10,000 Ohms. When you plug this output into that input it drops that signal to 1/6 what it started out as.

It would be interesting to see what the specs are on your 'machine.

(BTW: S938 is spec'ed at 47,000 Ohms. It could be a family trait...)

50K is a huge number: Auxes on Elmo machines have 600 Ohms in series!. With these you get 10,000/10,600 of the full signal strength: a pretty respectable fraction.

I plug my Eumig into a mixer: the 20,000 Ohm input gives me a fighting chance (2/7>1/6): besides, it's a pre-amp.

[ January 10, 2016, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2016 12:37 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very interested in this as the Eumig output is full of hum and not very loud. For the 810 being "HQS" that is a very curious thing indeed.

Elmo = HighER Quality Sound!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 11, 2016 03:42 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a fault on this machine Bill. If you have ever heard the S938 or S940, you will know as others here testify, the sound is incredible. Better than a GS 1200 dare I say, and certainly no discernable Hum either through the internal speakers or when slaved out on either track.

The S936, although not stereo, does have a superb audio section on board also.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 11, 2016 04:29 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill. Inside the Eumig 810 lamp house you will see two black plastic round coils which are wound with wire, one red and one white.

With the volume turned up, no film threaded and in forward motion (sound on) you can carefully move these to practically reduce any hum to zero. Have done this to all my Eumigs over the years and they perform fine.

Have mentioned the above before elsewhere but worth pointing out again.

John. I have the 936 and sound is powerful from it. As Steve mentions something else may be at fault within.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2016 07:04 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee
That's a great tip. Must have a go at that. Is it common to other projectors?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 11, 2016 07:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry. Think the small Bauer had coils in it but don't quote me, fans of those machines will know more than I.

The 'move the coils' Eumig mod is well worth doing most certainly and makes a massive difference to the humble little Eumigs. You can move the coils and also gently twist them to reduce any hum, best done with the lamp still in place and don't burn your fingers. Switch from Std 8 and Super 8 doing one at a time.
[Cool]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 11, 2016 08:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say much about the grounding on the 900+ series, but the 800s can be pretty bad. This can produce some respectable hum if you connect to an external amp.

When I decided to build a real external sound system, I knew about ground loops, so I decided to see how big a problem they might be first. I measured the voltage between the chassis on a couple of machines and the third prong of the outlets they were plugged in. For my Elmos I got something like .01 Volts AC, but my 800 series Eumig I got about .50 Volts, and it tended to drift around a lot too. I took the thing apart and found out the bracket the transformer was mounted on had the green wire running to it, and the bracket is bolted to the chassis, but there is no direct ground to chassis.

I griped this and heard back that someone had this so bad he actually got a shock off his Eumig! What I did is find a couple of star washers of the right size and I put them on the mounting bolts to dig into the metal on the bracket and the chassis and improve the connection. It dropped the ground voltage down a lot and it stayed constant. It wasn't perfect, but much better.

Now there's a potential safety issue here for sure, but what about audio? Well, the "hot" side of the line level signal comes from the output of some kind of amplifier circuitry, but the return is connected to chassis. This means when you connected this signal to some other chassis (example: amplifier) this voltage winds up mixed into the signal and you can get hum you'd be downright proud of if hum was what you were after all along! (A friend of mine actually "fixed" this problem by deciding to like the hum!)

My Eumig still hasn't lost all its ability to cause a ground loop. What I do about that is I operate it without its chassis directly connected to the chassis of my Amp. My mixer is capable of taking inputs in unbalanced (signal, shield) and balanced (signal(+), signal(-), shield) connections. I usually connect one Elmo as unbalanced to ground the whole projector end of the hookup. All the other projectors, especially the Eumig, get hooked up like this:

Projector audio hot: Signal(+)
Projector chassis: Signal(-)
Mixer ground: Shield

What this does is only amplify the voltage between projector hot and chassis and it takes the stray voltage between Eumig chassis and house ground entirely out of the equation. (ground loop: busted...)

This reduces the hum down just to the internal hum (the one the hum bucking coils are intended to reduce. They can't fix a ground loop.)

I've been running my 800 series a lot the last two weeks and connected this way the audio is pretty nice! The hum is still there, but it's way in the background and if this was as bad as it ever got I'd have left it alone.

It means if I'm using my sound system the Eumig can't ever be the only projector on the table**, and the mixer has to be there too, but at least it can join the party. It has a nice lens and I've found it's very good set of for 'scope.

** I could build some sort of grounding box, but I don't need another project!

[ January 11, 2016, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 11, 2016 05:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The grounding of the Nine series is much improved over the earlier Eumig models when all is as it should be.

Very little hum makes it through to the internal or external speakers on these and nothing at all when the projector is in the standstill mode with projector powered up and volume raised to normal levels.

The heads can also be moved away from the film path and are placed out of circuit when using the projectors just with silent films.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 07:01 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that there is some hum on my old 810D's Eumigs...But the "HQ Sound" models have considerably less hum. They really did improve the sound circuit in these HQ models.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 12, 2016 07:38 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John. My head hit the pillow still pondering your Eumig 936...
Had a thought, have you checked the sound automix is set to neutral? The controls are on the far left front of the machine and can be used to favour each track and can limit volume if turned one way or another.
Also check the sound head pressure pads are correctly clipped in as if these are not in you will certainly lack volume.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 12:38 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Behringer hd 400 hum destroyer works very well just for this kind of problem. I use one on my laptop to mixer connection form virtual dj. The problem was only there when I changed the power supply to the laptop from the original one that failed to a copy version of it, probably due to inferior components. This added so much mains hum you could not speak over the pa. I would imagine the line output from this would be the same as that of a projector because the feed is taken from the headphone output. The hd 400 can be purchased on ebay. The only other way I found to eliminate the bloody mains hum loop is to temporarily remove the earth wire at the plug for the power supply of the laptop, but this is not the best idea for obvious reasons, it is a short term fix if you are using a 4k rig miles from home I have found.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 12, 2016 01:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I rate Behringer products highly. Sensibly priced but very very good in my experience.

I may look to get one underneath the Graphic Equalizer I have made by them. It would make a very nice pre amp out set up for our projectors. [Smile]

--------------------

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 01:52 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies. I did some extensive testing and it seems that the sound head is in fact the problem. While the sound from the internal speaker is loud, it's actually quite a bit quieter than the sound from my Agfa Sonector which is positively booming compared to the Eumig.

I've checked everything including the pressure plate location and the track balance and it all points towards those heads. So if anyone has a spare one, let me know!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 12, 2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The 9 series heads are renowned for having particularly soft alloy John.

They therefore do wear much quicker than most unfortunately.
I wish you luck in your pursuit to find a spare. Perhaps a spare machine (even a non working one) would be the best way to go with this.

They are a different head on the S932 through to the 936 to that of the 938/940 so it's only one of these that will work for you.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 12, 2016 02:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think the problem with the sound level out of the Aux. is the immense resistance that Eumig put in series with the signal. Depending on the input impedance of the amp this can be downright deadly!

If I'm right, when you replace the heads you'll go all the way from a whisper to a mutter.

There can't be any harm in replacing this resistor with something a lot more moderate, even something as big as a 10K would allow a lot more signal to leak out!

-but can you find it in the first place?

Here's a thought: You can make your own Aux. Out with a DIN speaker plug, a simple resistor network and an RCA cable. You plug into the external speaker jack and tell Eumig to keep their constipated Aux.!

Are you up for a little soldering?

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 03:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew my 926 Stereo has its original head in it and perfecto. [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 05:27 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Doing well there then Lee. So has my S938 and its great on both tracks but the machine in my own case was left unused by a spinster for 23 years. She used it only for own artistic films she created herself.

I'd say the machine has still only had a few years use to this day in total.

I know Paul Adsett here had to change his head on these and I've heard the same story from several others.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 06:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good quality recordings to be had on those machines particularly the low end, used my 926 Stereo for years now just for dubbing Stereo. It must have seen many miles of film over the years, re-dubbed numerous prints of SW for chums to great effect.
Happy days!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 06:45 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They are very good indeed as you say Lee at recording, lovely sound achieved from these.

I've transferred track 1 to track 2 on mine on many occasions prior to getting the RM 8008.

Great for this type of work but useless for lip sync recordings due the AC drive chain.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 06:49 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll probably know but you can pull off the black speed knob and tweak the white nut to get speeds above 24fps. Handy when dubbing from those shiny round things. [Cool]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 07:03 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Lee, but far too much speed variation for lip sync when relying on friction discs from any ac motor drive, just like the ST on so on.

For digital sound recordings, I reduce the speed of the digital copy down to 24fps rather than speed any projector up to 25fps.
With an accurate electronically driven DC drive chain projector, this method works perfectly I find.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 07:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just couldn't live without my 926, the audio quality recorded is superb from that little mag stripe. [Smile]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2016 10:12 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have connected the external outputs from my 810D, Bolex SP8E. and Baur 610 to my Yamaha A5 A/V amplifier via the phono sockets of a "Realistic" stereo disco mixer which I purchased from the now defunct Tandy stores many years ago with no problems. Ken Finch.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 10:21 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To remind users of the 926,938,and 940 stereo machines, once more of the great tip from Maurizio:
Save the lifetime of the narrow track 2 head when projecting your vast majority of mono track films, by using a spare head pressure block which has the track 2 pressure finger clipped off. Just use the original stereo pressure pad assembly for the few stereo films that you have.
And I of course agree with Lee and Andrew that the sound recording and playback quality of these machines is remarkable.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC