8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Frozen Bolex 18-5 Rear Spindle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frozen Bolex 18-5 Rear Spindle
Mark Phillips
Junior

- posted January 29, 2016 08:50 PM      Profile for Mark Phillips   Email Mark Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Bolex 18-5 with a frozen rear spindle. I took the metal cover off the rear arm and removed the gears. The spindle will still not rotate. I have tried to pull it off the axle, but it is stuck. Any suggestions on how to repair it, or it is a lost cause?

Thanks!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2016 10:40 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot imagine what is holding that spindle. Try soaking it in a penetrating oil like PB Blaster. Check out this other thread to see exploded view of the mechanism.
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009682

Scott Gabriel
Junior

- posted January 30, 2016 08:22 AM      Profile for Scott Gabriel   Email Scott Gabriel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

And note in Barry's exploded view, that there is a circlip holding the spindle on to the axle in the arm. There must be a groove cut into the axle to accept the circlip, and a slot cut into the rear boss of the spindle which the circlip rides in.

Penetrant will probably free it up. But if you have to remove the spindle, watch out for flying circlips.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2016 08:16 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, did you have any luck with that spindle?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC