8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Run Roh! A Scooby Doo mystery solved

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Run Roh! A Scooby Doo mystery solved
Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2016 05:35 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the help of Mystery, Inc. I have solved at least some of the Techno Films' Scooby Doo mysteries! For those of us who are trying to collect the full 10 episode collection of Scooby Doo Super 8 films, those pesky Techno Films re-titled 200' reels can be confusing. Of course, the ultimate goal is to find all ten 400' versions with their original titles, and the complete opening and closing credits and theme song! But if you are like me and are settling on finding the two 200' reels which comprise the episodes the following list may be helpful:
(This is incomplete at this point based on the films I own, so I would appreciate any help from others to complete the list!)
SC1001 "Hassle in the Castle" (400') is comprised of SC1051 "The Uncatchable Shadow" (200') and ... SC1052?
SC1002 "Decoy for a Dognapper" is comprised of SC1053 "The Big Bait" and SC1054?
SC1003 "Foul Play in Funland" is comprised of SC1055 "The Strange Fellow" and SC1056 "An Odd Genius"
SC1004 "The Backstage Rage" is comprised of SC1057 "The Puppet" and SC 1058?
SC1005 "Bedlam in the Big Top" is comprised of SC1059 ? and SC1060 "The Hypnotist"
SC1006 "A Gaggle of Galloping Ghosts" is comprised of SC1061 "The Magic Palm Reader" and SC1062 "Assorted Monsters"
SC1007 "A Night of Fright is No Delight" is comprised of SC1063 "The Incredible Magic" and SC1064 "Scooby's in Trouble"
SC1008 "That's Snow Ghost" is comprised of SC1065 "Lively Holidays" and SC1066 "Prisoners of the Saw Mill"
SC1009 "Mystery Mask Mix Up" is comprised of SC1067 "The Dangerous Mask" and SC1068 "Scooby and the Samurai"
and SC1010 "Haunted House Hang-Up" is comprised of SC ? "A Frightful Place" and ?
Can anyone fill in the blanks to earn a Scooby snack?

[ May 18, 2018, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Carter Bradley ]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 19, 2016 11:14 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted that "Foul Play in Funland" episode, it's one of the best of the first season!"

As a general rule, did they actually have the complete beginning and ending credits to the episodes? (that would make for a very full 400ft reel, if they were the full episodes, as they would run, without ads, about 23 minutes).

I only ask as "The Flinstones" episodes tended to be slightly edited, and they didn't have the beginning and ending credits, just a "The Flinstones" title card at the beginning.

Also, when an episode was split into 2X200ft, was there more scenes when compiled together, or was the 400ft the more complete version of the episode?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2016 12:24 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
They did a great job editing "Foul play in Funland." It has been my experience that the 400' reels contain the complete opening and end credits with that great theme song, while the 200' reels feature a short red background title card with the new name (two names per original episode!). All are edited to about 16 minutes of story, usually removing some of the secondary comedy such as Scooby battling a mouse or chipmunk which had nothing to do with the mystery. The two 200' reels add no new footage, and in fact, in the case of "A Gaggle of Galloping Ghosts" the 400' reel features a dissolve between the two halves of the story, and the 200' reel cuts this out completely. I have one Spanish language copy of "Bedlam in the Big Top" which was released by Aries Films. It does not feature the original opening or closing credits. But it does feature 20 minutes of story, so it is only very slightly edited.

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2016 05:34 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug,
I noticed that sometime ago you posted a scan of Techno's Scooby Doo SC1060 "The Hypnotist." Would this happen to be the second part of the original "Bedlam in the Big Top" episode?

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2017 05:20 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scooby Doo fans. I have updated the list since I just found two more 200' Scooby Doo Techno Films.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 03, 2017 05:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The very same format was used by Techno Films for other TV Cartoons like Hong Kong Phooey etc.

400's you get the full opening and closing theme tunes and credits, 200's , just a red background title card.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 04, 2017 11:11 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and I'm still looking for "Foul Play in Funland!" [Smile]

I just love that shot of Scooby Doo licking off the cotton candy from his face! Don't ask me why.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Smith
Junior

- posted May 17, 2018 06:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Smith   Email Andrew Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in picking a few of these up, but ebay listings are often vague. Does anybody know if Technofilm also put out silent editions or am I say to assume that all featured sound?

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2018 07:22 PM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, some of the 200 ft. films are silent. From what I understand, all 400 ft. are sound. Some 200 ft. are also sound.
If it does not say "Sound" on the front of the box, then I would safely assume it to be a silent version. Many of the ebay listings I have seen do not indicate sound or silent, but if box is shown, then it can be determined.

Andrew Smith
Junior

- posted May 18, 2018 12:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Smith   Email Andrew Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I'll be waiting a little while longer to pick one of these up, then. Thanks for the tip off!

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 12:00 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg is exactly right. All 200' Scooby Doo films are available in color/silent and color/sound versions, while the 400' reels are only available in color/sound. The original Techno boxes are marked either "Sound film, super 8 color" or "super 8 color" for the silent versions. Just a note: I have not found any silent versions with superimposed titles to indicate dialogue, so it is probably best if a collector is familiar with the storyline.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC