8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projectors I'm Considering

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projectors I'm Considering
Jason Brummett
Junior

- posted April 24, 2016 04:43 PM      Profile for Jason Brummett   Email Jason Brummett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, All.

I need to get another projector, and I am considering the following:

GAF 2000S
Bell & Howell Filmosonic 1744
Bell & Howell Filmosonic 600Z

Are any of these projectors good? If so, which one would be most recommended? I would appreciate some input.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 24, 2016 06:15 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Why these,...specifically?? [Confused]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jason Brummett
Junior

- posted April 24, 2016 08:21 PM      Profile for Jason Brummett   Email Jason Brummett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're for sale on eBay.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 25, 2016 05:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason
Regrettably, none of the three mentioned are projectors known to collectors in the U.K.
However, I suggest you wait until a decent Elmo ST1200 makes an appearance on US eBay.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 25, 2016 07:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2016 11:48 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you plan on using the projector for? Viewing old family films? Converting films to digital? Viewing feature films? Do you plan on collecting films? Where will the films be shown? In your home or a largrer venue?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 25, 2016 12:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of the Bell and Howells use the discontinued lamp DJL.

You can still find 'em:

Average Rated Life: 15 Hours

Bust out retail: $62.99 Each

(That's over 4 bucks an hour! I'd be a little wary here.)

You can retrofit, or just find some other machine and not need to.

I like my running-around machines to use lamps like EFP and EFR, they're so common you almost expect to get one free when you buy a tank of gas!

The GAF uses a bulb that is still in production, and that's a plus. The brand name has a reputation it doesn't completely deserve. GAF is that company that your Aunt bought her 126 camera from because it was cheap and easy to use. However, a lot of their movie equipment came from Chinon and it was actually pretty decent. My first movie camera was a Chinon/GAF and it was a great camera which served me very well for years.

-so if the choice was only among these: GAF by a mile.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2016 06:53 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, at least two of the projectors you mention are super 8 projectors with sound. As said, the GAF would seem to be the best one of the three on offer. It uses a 150 watt lamp off a 120 volt supply if you want to price one up. It dates from 1974. Buying anything on eBay is a gamble as you are relying on the seller's description with most having no knowledge of cine projectors. The first one I bought was described as working when there was no drive belt. "Working but not tested with film" is often seen.A good site for reference is www.van-eck.net

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 25, 2016 08:17 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a GAF 3000 that is 100% working and tested with film. All functions except record were tested. Here is the link:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/182098514451
It has a nice bright picture and loud clear sound. It's a step up from the 2000.

Jason Brummett
Junior

- posted April 25, 2016 08:18 PM      Profile for Jason Brummett   Email Jason Brummett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your responses, everyone. I think I will pass on these and keep looking.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2016 08:35 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'm late to the discussion but I would also recommend the GAF....I have the 3100S and I use it for transfers and have had no problems. Alan, you have a very nice package for sale on that link.

Bill [Smile]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 25, 2016 09:21 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill! Yes the GAF's are really underrated projectors. They have a sturdy robust build quality and very nice image and sound. Its always about priorities in terms of what you are looking for in a machine. This is a straight ahead no fuss machine. It can sit for years and years and then turn it on and boom. Your ready to watch movies again!
Maybe one day I will start a Super 8 projector museum!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 26, 2016 11:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly Jason, unless you absolutely have you're heart set on these three you listed (nolstalgia from the past), I would personally suggest ou get a different make and model, as these projectors that you mentioned are really not among the best for film, and a really good one, even a high end model of a EUMIG or an ELMO will sometimes be on sale, in good working condition for a decent low price ...

So, my personal advice is, wait on the best.

Actually, to mention it, I'm on the lookout for a decent EUMIG 938 stereo, personally. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 26, 2016 04:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the best they ever made in my opinion Osi!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC