8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Beaulieu 708EL New Spool Spindles (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Beaulieu 708EL New Spool Spindles
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 06, 2017 11:07 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They are finished and working now Maurice thanks.

I have posted a thread with photographs of them and also written about the eventual outcome after some modification over on another forum Maurice, if you are interested.

The replica "Studio" spindles work well and I am extremely pleased with the outcome from this venture.

[ July 06, 2017, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 07, 2017 02:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew

Many Forum members, including myself, actively followed your very interesting postings. As an owner of two Beaulieus I am well aware of the poorly designed spool spindles, considering that it's an up-market model.

Borrowing an old well-known catchphrase of Magnus Magnusson TVs Mastermind "I've started so I'll finish", would you kindly consider doing the same with details of your completed project.

My two 708s now have complete spindles, but I do have a box containing two spindles, each with broken or damaged retaining clips. Perhaps these could be uprated sometime.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 07, 2017 02:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of courtesy to yourself Maurice and one or two others who expressed an interest at the time, I will copy and paste what I concluded elsewhere regarding this venture and then post it here for you later Maurice.

I will post a few of the photos from there, but to post all here would neither be possible or permitted sorry.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 07, 2017 02:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great. I'm particularly interested in the cost. Your kind action is appreciated.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 07, 2017 04:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what has been previously posted Maurice,..

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:10 pm

Collected and fitted the first of my new spindle hubs today. Works very well and I am pleased with the results.
I will have a matching pair by Wednesday with a little luck.

-

Then Alan kindly wrote back "Looks Great!"

Then,..

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:35 am

I am just about to go to the workshop now to see the guy who created the stainless spindle hub and tab.

He wants this first one back to verify and reference all dimensions while making the second one.

This one I have asked for a smaller pin on. I got my figures wrong to begin with by requesting that the pin diameter should be 2mm.
2mm works out fine for Elmo "Jewel" reels and the large Beaulieu /Posso reels, which is what I based my dimensions on, however some other plastic reels require only a 1.5mm Dowel pin to act as a key to insert into their slots.

So this dowel is being removed and then replaced with a 1.5mm SS type that will then fit all spools.

All else worked out absolutely fine though I am pleased to say and that includes the manner in which the reels lock on all of the ones I have been able to fit so far.

I instructed the engineer to make the centre point of the diagonal keyway slot in the tab to be point where it touches on the reel. This way it allows smaller thinner reels still to be able to lock securely while also having around 50% of the slot free to allow the reels to be released easily.
This part I am really pleased with as a first off, as it worked out exactly how I wished it to.

The second hub is going to take longer now while I wait for M1.5x 8mm Stainless Steel dowels to arrive with me as I had to order these online In the end as they are not an easy size to pick up from Engineering Merchants.

I still should have the finished first pair back with me in around a week's time with any luck.

-

-

-

The most critical aspect in all of this, so far as a successful working hub is concerned, is ensuring the 6.5mm counterbored hole is just to a critical depth.
0.5mm too long and the spindle has endfloat in it and will not lock to the original shaft without axial movement, 0.5mm too short and the new spindle hub simply locks up when tightening the internal shaft retaining screw. He left this purposefully short and i then finished drilled it to the exact critical depth to suit the shaft length at home, so he can then replicate it on the next one.
We now have an exact precise dimension for this to allow all subsequent ones to be made without trial in future.

Then we received a series of questions from Edwin Van Eck..

"Hi,

I had just a meetings with my engineers about replacing the sinter bronze bearings with ball bearings.

There are possibilities here.

But first we need to know:
- has this modification been done?
- what is the difference between PP-0012 (2 sinter bronze bearings) compared to ball bearings?
- are two ball bearings being used, or one ball bearing and one sinter bronze bearing? (I have an original reel holder which comprises of one ball bearing and one sinter bronze bearing)."

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

To which i replied...

First question...
"Has this modification been done?"

Not quite sure what is meant by that question Edwin sorry, so I will have to answer that one by asking another question in return...
Has what modification been done?

Second question.
"What are the differences between the two sintered bronze bearing design and the ball bearing design ?

Originally Beaulieu issued all mono and early twin track duoplay projectors with nylon hubs containing one singular sleeve bronze bearing of around 10mm in length.
These work very well up to a point and customers were complaining of premature motor failure due to excessive loads being placed on them by trying to drive the larger reels using these bronze sleeve bearings.
The rewinding of full 2200ft reels of film proved particularly detrimental to the well being of the motor windings long term health.
Beaulieu then modified their existing Nylon hubs by removing the bronze sleeve bearing and moulding a larger cavity within the rear section of the hub to then place two back to back slim fitting self contained ball bearing units inside the cavity.

This proved very successful and gave far greater velocity and far less drag or friction on the hub bearing and drive motor, once this modification was completed and was then subsequently implemented to every machine that was built thereafter.
This was around the time the Stereo model was first released.

Early examples of these hubs show signs of where the previous bronze bearing design had been fitted but then retrospectively a cavity was bored to the outer section within the nylon to accommodate the two ball bearings.
Later nylon spindle hubs and indeed the ones which can be ordered still from Wittners, omitted the bronze bearing insert altogether and simply added the moulded cavity into the nylon hub with no insert of any kind.

There is no benefit whatsoever by having the bronze bearing even in part form, alongside the two ball bearings in their own cavity or chamber.

If you have an original Beaulieu hub Edwin, with some of the old bronze bearing insert in tact plus the cavity or chamber with only one ball bearing fitted, it is because one has become misplaced somewhere along the way.
All have both the space and necessity to require two ball bearings per hub to be fitted to allow the assembly to both fit correctly as well as work correctly.

The spindle hubs I am replicating above, came much later and were fitted only to a few select models, namely the HTI 250w models, some fade computer models and then all of the later 93 Stereo Studio models.

Contrary to what you may hear Edwin, my advice, always based on my own extensive experiences and extended research with these things,would be to simply discontinue the original sintered bronze sleeve bearing design that you replicated from the original Beaulieu nylon hubs and do as they did, and supersede your design using the twin ball bearing arrangement as these in practice are far superior in use than the early design and subsequently, do not cause any issues with premature motor failure or indeed excessive overloading / overheating.

then,..

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:48 am

Just returned from visiting the workshop to collect my second piece. I now have two completed pieces ready to fit on the first machine. Will test extensively throughout the day using various different reel sizes and types.
There shouldn't be any issues however as the pin diameter is now 1.5mm and luckily, the Stainless Steel ones arrived in time for the Engineer to fit those prefered kind thankfully.

These photos also show some of the tooling and stock engineering parts required to make this venture into a reality.

-

-

There may be a chance future ones of these may be entirely made from one piece stainless or aluminium round bar (except for the locking tab of course), as he has now invested in a dividing head for milling small gears accurately.
It makes no real difference to the end product except to say these would then become readily available to anyone whether they have the later Beaulieu nylon hubs with the dual ball bearings fitted or not, as the case may be.

There is more to conclude, but i'd need a reply first before I may post more photographs on the conclusion once these were fitted.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 07, 2017 06:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
Many thanks for the quite fantastic details of the new spindles.
It would be interesting to know when you may be in a position to accept orders.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 07, 2017 07:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here now then, is the conclusion..

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Initial checks show the second phase work has been entirely successful as here is one such reel previously, that would not easily fit onto the 2mm SS Drive Pin.
Now it fits perfectly over and onto the 1.5mm type.

-

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Fitted and working perfectly during first trials. [Smile] )

-

-

-

From the smallest, to the largest,..no problem!

-

-

-

If you are interested in having a pair of these made for yourself Maurice, please contact me by PM for details surrounding costing and manufacturing lead times etc etc.

The Aluminium strip doesn't particularly look like polished chrome btw by the time it has been machined and then polished to remove any marks from manufacturing the diagonal slot etc.
It still looks in keeping however to match the smart Stainless Steel finish of the spindle hubs and is more than sufficient at serving it's purpose as a retaining clip for these.

The project at this time does however rely on the owner supplying his own nylon spindles c/w two Ball Bearings per assembly.

I will link a short video here of these spindles in action both playing a movie and then rewinding using them, later this evening.

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2017 11:08 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,

Great Job !!!

Is there a spring inside spindle just behind Tab ?

What you wrote about Brass Bearings is very instructive !!!

That confirm me it is important to install Ball Bearings instead of brass bushings.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 07, 2017 11:27 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Phil and no, there is no spring fitted or indeed necessary.
It wouldn't help in any way for this design.

The design works entirely just from being a clamped "wedge" fit by the tapered slotted locking tab pushing onto the outer face of the reel and then the rear abutment face of the spindle hubs providing the rear clamping surface.

Once you push down firmly onto the locking tab after the reel is fitted, it remains firmly clamped until the tab is pulled upon again.

[ July 07, 2017, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2017 06:47 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,

I understand your engineer can use a Dividing Head now.

That could be a good source to work out new gears for projector(s) to replace ugly Nylon ones.

Do you think ?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 09, 2017 08:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It would mean that these would be even higher in cost to produce Phil.

It would also mean these replica "Studio" hubs would then be made from one piece stainless steel minus the rear washer and retaining clip of course.

Furthermore, what this would facilitate until such time as Edwin produces his new improved nylon hubs with the two ball bearings fitted, is an ability for any Beaulieu owner to obtain a set of these with or without the later original hubs already to hand to act as a donor for these.

In reality, I see no difference in the standard of manufacture between using a full stainless steel hub including the gear section or alternatively, doing as Beaulieu did and utilizing the rear nylon gear and bearing section of the nylon hubs and then incorporating the stainless section by integrating it through the machining processes.

They both would work in exactly the same manner and to the very same standards, I would predict.
Just that the all Stainless Steel arrangement would cost far more to produce.

I have never had any issues with nylon gear section of the hubs with these and cannot envisage how anyone ever would to be honest, as there is really nothing to wear out on these.

Reading you post differently Phil, if you are implying that gearwheels or other such components other than those associated directly with the spindle hubs could possibly be manufactured by this same engineer by using the new dividing head machinery, then yes, of course this may now be a possibility in the future for any round metal component that isn't a cast component in it's original form. [Smile]

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2017 09:15 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew, I was thinking about gears "Inside" the machine which are showing different diameters and tooth pitch.

I assume the more difficult to work out is the "angled" gear (I am afraid angle value is not a standard), the first one which take the motion.

For the others (stright gears) I am trying to find "Blank" ones (from Industry Hardware) which can be rework to adapt thickness and bores.

[ July 16, 2017, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2018 04:38 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Andrew, et all,

Again, thanks for testing the Beaulieu 708EL reel holders with ball bearings.

The ball bearings are ready and available for sale!
We have even further improved it by using closed ball bearings to prevent dust polluting the bearings!

-

Ordering and more info: https://shop.van-eck.net/PP-0235.html?_globalsearch=pp-0235

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC