8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Wolverine (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wolverine
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 08:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

Those screen shots look great, my understanding of the type of scanner used I think was a Lasergraphics ScanStation. This is a very expensive professional piece of equipment.

Regarding the Wolverine videos I have watched I am not convinced enough to buy one, even though they are cheap. The results dont look that great to me, so at the moment I am going to hold of getting one.

https://vimeo.com/millerandmiller/telecine

I might try this instead [Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 09:13 AM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So these had been sold out everywhere. The company in California,US finally got them in, I ordered and got mine Monday night.
http://secure.mm5server.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=F2DMM100&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

B&H and Adorama are still showing as backordered. Based on shipping, stocking, etc., I would assume they should both have them by next week. (probably this week). They both ship internationally.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1272222-REG/wolverine_data_f2dmm100_8mm_and_super_8.html#!
https://www.adorama.com/wvf2dmm100.html

Frys says they'll have it in the next couple weeks.
http://www.frys.com/product/8925833

I don't know about Amazon but I did notice that they have shortened their expected shipping window. Their price is higher than other places though.

--------------------
Barb

I'm an amateur noob. Please be gentle.

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 09:56 AM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Amazon have put their price up $20 in the last couple of days.

They have a habit of doing this with most things they sell. I often put things in my Amazon cart and then select 'save for later' to keep an eye out for big price reductions (clicking on cart will then bring up details of price rises and reductions, if any, of the items saved for later).

Sometimes there are massive drops/rises in price and may only stay that way for a matter of hours before changing again.

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 10:07 AM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, Have you ever tried CamelCamelCamel (https://camelcamelcamel.com/)? My husband lives by it.
It tracks pricing on Amazon. You can see if the current price is high or low for that item. You can also set alerts for if the price drops.

--------------------
Barb

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 12:36 PM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

I have spent the last few days comparing the Somikon & Wolverine.
I've come to the conclusion upart from them looking fairly simular they differ in the fact the Somikon auto stops when the
film comes to the end the Wolverine does not, the Somikon has
PAL as well as NTSC output + with it being German it probably
has a better match electrically, so all in all in the UK or PAL countries your better off getting the Somikon, althopugh they both output at 30fps. So software is still needed to slow
down the frame rate.
I now have cancelled my Wolverine, you can buy the Somikon for
299DM from PEARL.DE about £50 more expensive £246 all in,
Kind Regards,
James.

[ April 27, 2017, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: James Wilson ]

--------------------
James Wilson

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 01:28 PM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barbara - The CamelCamelCamel site looks intersting. May investigate further, thanks.

James - The downloadable manual for the Wolverine states that it has both PAL and NTSC output. I think actually it's irrelevant because it's creating a digital file, which has nothing to do with either PAL or NTSC. I just assumed it's to reassure buyers that it will work in their part of the world.

It also has DC 12v power.

The only thing it doesn't say is auto stop but I'd be willing to bet it has this too as they both look identical.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 26, 2017 05:19 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have spent the last few days comparing the Somikon & Wolverine.
I've come to the conclusion upart from them looking fairly simular they differ in the fact the Somikon auto stops when the

Hi James,

The best way to check is to find the patent numbers for both machines. If they share the same numbers you know what is the answer.

If you cannot find the patent no, try to find who made it. I bet this is made in China.

China products are known to change the brand for a small modification and sell at higher price. You can check their DVD/BluRay machines of non major companies. There are hundreds brands but actually came from only few companies.

Some major brands for lower model (Panasonic, Sony, etc) are even made from such companies and re-branded. These compannies are actually selling their brands not their product. If you have a problem with the machine they never repair but change with the new one due to its low cost (but high price). This is what we called OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 05:38 PM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they are different after all.
Just found a French demo of the Somikon on youtube. Unlike the Wolverine, it takes 400ft reels (check it out at 2:36 - you can clearly see the markings in feet on the reel).

I'd seen on the spec that the Somikon took 7" reels but thought the images looked the same as the Wolverine.

Going to have to think about my Wolverine order now because using larger reels is a game changer for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-elVOX4UbM0

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2017 12:01 AM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Autostop?
Mine seems to autostop about 1/3 of the time.
Sometimes it gets stuck on the tail and sometimes I'm there waiting and sometimes the whole thing runs through and the machine stops.

They may bave changed this. I ordered mine when they came back in on April 18th, and I got it Monday the 24th.

Also- It came with a 5" reel. In the morning I'll check to see if a 7" reel fits on it. I have a couple.

--------------------
Barb

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2017 02:42 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, appreciated! Spot on about the difference between collectors and shooters! [Big Grin]

quote:
Berend, I saw you edited the post. So Somikon is a rebranded of Wolverine? If this is the same machine then Euro 399 vs US$ 299 (eqv EUR 273) is some kind a lost there. Buyers must be aware of this.
As the Wolverine and Somikon look almost 1:1 I presume it's rebranding what I believe it is. Of course you have to do a close compare of the specs. When I receive my deck I'll share it's manual/spec-sheet.

I never compare prices with the USA, because I never buy there due to shipping cost, customs and taxes. AND I need 230V power supplies / jackets for my NL home.

Cheers [Cool]

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2017 07:05 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,
One last question, what software do you use, (is it free to reduce the speed, how long does it take to slowdown 200ft?
Kind Regards,
James.

[ April 27, 2017, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: James Wilson ]

--------------------
James Wilson

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2017 07:56 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem you get with the Wolverine Movie Maker is if it goes wrong within the warranty period, not only do you have to pay to send it back to Wolverine to be repaired under warranty you have to pay them to get it sent back to you.
Just a word of warning

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2017 09:13 AM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is another version badged by Reflecta on Amazon Germany.

It is only available for 1 week rental as opposed to outright purchase @ Euro 69.99 with free postage in Germany.

I did a test to see how much delivery was to the UK and it was Euro 9.95 postage on top. Total cost worked out just over £70 but I guess the snag is paying to send it back (unless there is a free returns system).

Could be a useful service for anyone in Europe with a relatively small amount to transfer.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XQNGDJZ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&p sc=1&smid=A1UMXFK13IIBUM

Reflecta's website has them for purchase @ Euro 449 but not available until mid May. Looks like it only takes 200ft reels.

https://reflecta.de/en/products/detail/~id.840/reflecta-Film-Scanner-Super-8-%E2%80%93-Normal-8.html

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2017 04:36 PM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,
Most video editing software will let you adjust the speed. Sometimes you will set the fps and sometimes it is a relative change to the current speed.
There are a lot of free programs available that you can try.

On this PC I have Windows Movie Maker which is free and a bunch of other things including my favorite, Adobe Premiere (not free).

Changing the speed takes no time, even on my cel phone.
Saving a new file can take awhile depending on what you are saving and your hardware. I can't imagine that 200ft would take very long on any machine from the past decade.

Last year I did all of the home movie on magnetic tape. The cassettes ranged from 30min to 8hrs. Some of those took a long time on my newest machine.

--------------------
Barb

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2017 03:16 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barbara, let me just encourage you to retain all of the original source media. Particularly with the Wolverine, you're not getting all of the image quality the film holds, even though it's pretty cool. Also, the longevity and quality of some digital media is questionable - the originals could potentially outlast us. Or at least be available for a new conversion into new formats... by our kids or grandkids!

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2017 09:47 PM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill but have no fear. I already have plans to vacuum seal and deep freeze the original films when I am done. I am horrified when I hear about people selling family negatives, slides, films, etc...
Preserving family memories is the main reason I have been digitizing EVERYTHING. We have lots of family. So who gets the picture of Babci? I have online storage so anyone in the family can have anything I have done and everyone gets a copy whenever they want.

The Wolverine was a toy that could make quick scans. It still takes a lot of post processing if you want something good. I also have a flatbed scanner system that takes longer but gives me individual frames in a purer form and can handle films in poor condition.
The speed of the Wolverine has added a new element. I can have digital files for everyone to look at quickly and then I can prioritize my work based on family wishes. It all needs to happen eventually but I can make people happy quicker. Also I now know where there are large sections that can be skipped because the lens cap was on.

I see the Wolverine having a place in the world. Some home movies were taken so badly (especially if my mom had the camera) you won't be losing out on anything. Also this may be the limit to some people's skill or budget. I could see lending this to some friends and then helping them out if they need/want.

And you are right about digital files. Most people do not realize how fleeting they can be. The storage media can fail. Even if it doesn't media and file formats change. I have files that I have moved from cassette to floppy to tape to zip to CD-rom to DVD-rom to hard-drive to smart-card to cloud and every so often I need to open and resave so that it is the most current file type. Yes I am an electronic pack rat. I live by "save, save often, and then save again".

Thanks.

--------------------
Barb

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2017 01:23 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wolverine would do much better than what I have now of my father's movies. Years ago my brother took everything back with him to Hawaii and spent hour upon hour in his bathroom playing back the movies and recording them on 8mm tape. Then he copied them to VHS and then made 1 copy of each of the tapes to send to my siblings.

So he has a complete set while my self and and my two brothers each have 1/3 of the movies on a copy of a VHS tape. You can imagine what the quality is like. [Wink] But I'm happy to have it and I've been able to digitize portions of it to share with my cousins and other family.

Last summer he and I talked about getting the film re-scanned but it's pretty expensive if you want HD. So we're going to hold off in hopes that prices drop as the technology improves and storage gets cheaper. Products like the Wolverine I think will help drive prices down.

While I can understand the desire to get every line of resolution possible out of the 8mm format, a lot of the time with my father's movies you're not dealing with perfect focus and exposure anyway. It would be difficult to justify 2k or 4k scans. The value of the movies is not in the quality of the images. It's the memories and the shared history.

And as it stands, all the film is 4,000 miles away from me. Any digital copy would be an improvement over what I've got now.

The better services also offer color correction and will smooth excessive camera motion. I have mixed feelings about that. The events captured in those movies are from so long ago and I was so young, that I actually remember the movies better than the original events. I remember watching them and laughing. I'm not sure I'd want them altered.

Anyway, yes, the Wolverine has its place.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 03:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
"The value of the movies is not in the quality of the images. It's the memories and the shared history."

How very very true Tom! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2017 04:21 PM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
I would recommend taking up a collection with your family and go in on one. It would be $280-$320 plus tax and shipping, and about $15 for SD-card. I have video software that will do a lot of auto corrections for $30-$80.
You can even do the HD conversions with editing software but I find most of our home movies look better in SD.
Then everyone can have a copy of everything.

Having used the Wolverine I do stress that if your brother can clean and repair the film you will get the best results the machine can offer. Also, some fillms do better on a second run through than the first.

I have spent a lot of time repairing and digitizing video from magnetic tape. Of all the mediums I have worked with, that degrades the most and is the hardest to work with. I highly recommend no one relying on video tapes.

I know this forum is people who love film and the equipment but I really think that it is important for family stuff to be shared and passed on.

--------------------
Barb

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2017 06:05 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's sound advice Barbara. I think the biggest problem we have right now is finding somebody with the time to do the work. I enjoy it and did a few of my wife's movies last year but my father shot quite a bit more film. Plus his movies are all in Hawaii at the moment.

In the past my brother would have found the time to do it but he's taking some classes right now and is perpetually busy. That's why we're thinking of having them scanned.They seem to be holding up pretty well so it's not like it needs to be done tomorrow.

I picked up a used projector and a screen last year and I really enjoyed seeing my wife's movies and a couple of my own (from the 80's) presented the way they were meant to be. But I completely agree that having digital copies that can easily be shared is a very nice thing.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2017 02:40 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Barbara! We should all follow your example!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC