8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Cleaner (Again!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Cleaner (Again!)
Bernard C. G. Pritchard
Junior

- posted June 02, 2017 03:26 AM      Profile for Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Author's Homepage   Email Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies, for I realise that this is anything but a 'new topic'!

I still have a plentiful supply of Thermofilm (in the red tin container), but reading the advice on the forum, any benefits that this substance might provide for film seem to be matched by the medical dangers to our physiology. From the various recommendations here, I concluded that Filmrenew or Filmguard would prove worthy successors to my current dangerous stuff.

However, from the previous posts, I couldn't find any existing links to where these might be obtained; I found this on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liquid-Cine-Film-Cleaner-For-super-8-8mm16mm-9-5mm-Cleans-Lubricates-250ml-/262973883077?hash=item3d3a7702c5:g:4WkAAOSw~FJZFbIso

Does anyone have experience of this 'Butlers Film Cleaner'? The eBay listing includes a short video demonstrating its use, and this seems very sound.

The only other eBAy cleaner I found was: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200-ml-FilmShield-Cleaner-Preservative-For-8mm-9-5mm-16mm-35mm-Cine-Film-/401109854798?hash=item5d6402aa4e:g:sE4AAOSw4CFY2W5D

Does anyone know of this FilmShield product?

I'm sorry to re-introduce such a subject that's been previously much discussed, but I would - again - welcome your experience and wisdom!

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 02, 2017 03:32 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what I posted previously for another collector.

- posted March 24, 2017

Jack Roe sell it over the phone (Filmguard) which I thoroughly recommend.
Currently £44.20 per 900ml Bottle (+Vat). Still very much in stock at Jack Roe as i have just this second spoken to them Tom.

All cards accepted. Uk Tel Number:-(0) 1989 567474

No plans not to continue sourcing from the US, I was just told.

--------------------

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2017 06:53 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently found my last (empty) can for 2.22. That warns on a stick on label that it contains 1.1.1. trichloroetane and to use in a well ventilated atmosphere.
This wasn't on earlier cans - so if there are any old ones out there that's what the solvent is.
It sounds a bit like the Arklone cleaning fluid we used gallons of at work (Di-chloro-di-fluro ethane) That came with a similar warning that it was similar to anesthetics and repeated high exposure could cause heart problems. Good job we had large rooms and good air conditioning

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2017 07:17 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2.22 Sadly I have none left now. But the films I treated with it are still good.

Here is a link to the stuff in it. 1,1,1-Trichloroethane

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 02, 2017 07:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
trichloroetane is now a banned substance in the western world and for very good reason.

It is extremely harmful to health when inhaled.
Be warned!

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2017 07:48 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i think back to the days when we used to use Carbon Tetrachloride when cleaning our 35mm prints at the cinema
i now worry and shudder at any long term health problems
that may be hidden yet to manifest.

I always had the film rewind room windows wide open when using
that stuff.

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 02, 2017 07:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to clean repair parts in enormous vats of this stuff in industry. Brush Gear etc etc,..you could finish up high as a kite inside 10 minutes cleaning parts free from industrial debris and grime with this stuff swimming around them all!

Gamlen Solvent Solution.. Very effective but totally lethal stuff!

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 02, 2017 10:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projection rooms of Odeon cinemas used to have wooden parquet tiled flooring.

Once a month, in the morning, we used to open the above air vents and all doors/windows and clean the floor with carbon tetrachloride. Then, after a break in the open air, returned to the box to polish the floor with Ronuk.

Carbon Tet was also used in Pyrene fire extinguishers of the day. They were a easy method of obtaining the cleaning fluid, but after many were discovered to be empty when really needed in a fire emergency the contents were tinted red!

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC