8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A New Super 8 Short Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A New Super 8 Short Film
Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2017 12:37 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
You may know me as a collector, but I am also a bit of a filmmaker and I am planning to make a short film shot on Super 8, titled "Keep Dreaming". This film will need funding as there is no production company and I cannot afford to pay out-of-pocket. I have started a fundraising campaign. You can learn about the details of this project and watch my previous work by clicking on this link:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-dreaming-a-super-8mm-short-film-fantasy-thriller#/

Please consider supporting me in this and feel free to ask me any questions (except 'How does the movie end?'). No contributions yet, but it has to start somewhere. I'm not asking any one person to donate very generously, but small contributions from many can have a great effect. Even if you can't donate, I ask you to please spread the word about this campaign.
Thank you kindly.

-Daniel

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2017 10:51 AM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, atleast wish me luck, folks. [Wink]

Peter Gilabert
Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2017 04:01 PM      Profile for Peter Gilabert   Email Peter Gilabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Daniel!
If you can't raise this much ,, perhaps consider ways to cut costs (story takes place in one free location, becoming friends with actors who just want to be in something, using whatever cash you can get for food, etc.) At least then you'd be able to make your film.
Believe me, I know ! [Wink] . -P

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2017 08:39 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter,
Thank you, that is smart advice for micro budget filmmaking and I am already following all of it. Most of the cost goes toward Super 8 film stock and that I cannot compromise on.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 02, 2017 05:02 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel, what footage do you plane to shoot ? You say your film will be 7 minutes long. That's two or three (depending on the speed) super 8 cartridges. Unless you think you will need to take many times the same scenes, it is not easy to understand how the filmstock can be as expensive as 75 % of 2.200 $ I don't say that to suggest anything dishonnest from you but to look for an explanaition (but of course I may be completely wrong) why nobody has backed you so far. Maybe more explanation about that on the linked site could help ? anyway, good luck with your project. Any project related with super 8 or other movie gauges is always welcome.

--------------------
Dominique

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 02, 2017 09:36 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Daniel's budget is on the low side. Dominique, No one ends up with a 1:1 shooting ratio (that normally goes into double digits) and the beauty of a short film is that the filmmaker and crew can concentrate on making each shot the best it can be, within limitations. When you consider that the "Film" category in Daniel's budget includes processing, digital transfers and (I would assume) possible equipment rental, the $2,200 total is fairly austere.

Daniel, I would like hear more about the tech details. Which camera and stock do you plan on using? Will this be sync sound?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 02, 2017 12:27 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for those precisions. One doesn't imagine it is so expensive. Good luck again to Daniel.

--------------------
Dominique

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2017 12:30 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It takes atleast 12 rolls to shoot a 7 minute film, which I've done several times. It's approx. a 3:1 shooting ratio. There's no equipment rental; Crew works for no pay. We're shooting on my own Nizo 6080 & 4080 cameras, Kodak Tri-X B&W, 24fps sync sound. I welcome any other questions and I thank all who welcome this topic.

-Daniel

Peter Gilabert
Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2017 01:26 PM      Profile for Peter Gilabert   Email Peter Gilabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Daniel,
Where in heck are you buying your film and getting it processed, scanned, etc.?

'Cause you can get Tri-X right now from Kodak for under $21 a roll, get processing and scanning from Cinelab in MD for $18 a roll-processed, and .30/ft. scanned (that's $15 a roll), $33 total x15.
For say even 15 rolls of film then you're looking at with shipping and a thumb drive:
That's about $850 tops. Get Davinci to edit- it's basically free.
spend the rest on food and entry fees. [Wink]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 02, 2017 05:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the best Daniel for you project [Cool]

There are a couple of very good Facebook pages "Pro-8mm" being one and "Super 8mm" being another that would be worth checking out, plus it might be worth creating one yourself dedicated to to your projects...just a thought [Smile]

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2017 10:17 AM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Peter and Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC