8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Wow. 6 ad reels just went for over £200!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wow. 6 ad reels just went for over £200!
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2017 02:22 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought I was in with a dead cert at £140! This is a rich man's game...

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 14, 2017 12:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What auction were you looking at? Not wanting to buy, (way beyond what i would pay for ads), but you made me curious.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2017 12:48 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272751488797

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 14, 2017 01:45 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
£212 Stuart, 40 quid a piece which isn't too far over the top as they do seem to fetch stupid money. Have to say i would not pay that, (i'd sell them for it though [Big Grin] [Big Grin] )

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 14, 2017 07:35 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah but "Saving Private Ryan" Trailer was in there. I don't think I have seen that come up too often.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 15, 2017 05:17 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its ridiculous, I hope to goodness they don`t charge them the actual amount, I wouldn`t.

£100 the lot would be more than enough.

No mention of condition even.

Anyone dipping thier feet in the hobby and seeing this sort of daft thing will be dipping back out quick quick.

Best Mark.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 15, 2017 11:05 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunatly the ad reels on there, 9 and 12 are already in my collection along with saving private ryan trailer. I think i paid £12 each and 14 for the trailer. Back in the day as they say. The earlier reel we had but sold them on. A nice little xollection there though.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 15, 2017 12:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stuart!

I was curious more to see what was offered. It took me years to actually track down a Derann re-issue on low fade film stock of the Red Fox "70's commercials (U.S.)" (which red Fox originally only issued on quick fade eastman, alas), and I'm always in the hopes of finding the second red Fox release of the 70's commercials reels, and the hope that Derann also re-iisued that one as well on L.P.P. film stock. hey, they re-issued one of them, there's the hope that they re-issued the other one as well.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 15, 2017 06:40 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - you're taking kindness to saintly proportions if you would only charge a buyer half their winning bid, before then paying eBay commission on the full amount! I bet every other Forum member would gratefully accept the money, thinking it's some compensation for all the times we've got less than we deserved when selling films!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 16, 2017 05:10 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian there are some very kind people on here.

I always use buy it now as I don`t want to sell films for more than they are worth, probably old school value levels if you will.

I`m sure there will be others who would not charge them that too.

Its hard on them as the ebay thing has well overinflated them.

You can`t assume the person can afford the too high prices really as well, ebay can make you loose a grip.

Theres far too much cash cash type thing getting in to films and projectors. Its a shame.

You can decide what they are really worth and add the fees to that total so still doing well if you will.

I`ve wittered on before that its not too good for the hobby, the rampent prices thing.

Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 17, 2017 12:10 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - I take your point, but on the other hand I don't think it would imply a lack of kindness to accept the winning bid, and it could be that a low-income seller really needs the money a lot more than a wealthy buyer.

Setting a 'Buy it now' approach does seem to be the answer to avoid getting more than you want, although that may prevent a buyer from getting a bargain, as well as saving them from paying an inflated price.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2017 11:02 PM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - would that really be fair to all the other bidders who were also willing to pay "too much" for your item? Shouldn't it go to the bidder who was first to reach your threshold?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC