8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 1200ft reels and cans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1200ft reels and cans
Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2017 11:12 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought the Elmo GS1200 from Gilbert (Oostende) and it's great.
Love the man already.
He gave me a 16mm projector for free, so I can see my fathers 16mm homemade diving films.
I also got a few 1200ft Elmo reels, and they look awesome.
Now I'm searching for cans for those to fit in.
I found a website who sells 1200ft cans, but are these good for use?
http://www.janssenfilm.com/filmsupplies.php?cat=filmblikken

Also, I like to put my 3x120ft films on 1200ft reels.
Can I still buy these 1200ft reels somewhere?

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 27, 2017 11:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The reels are hard to find now unfortunately Matthieu.

Wind the clock back 20 or 30 years, there was an abundance of them in circulation in Europe as well as the U.S., now those that use them, tend to hang onto them. They are the best spools that money can buy for Super 8mm hour long use.

Certainly the best mass produced ones anyhow.

For cans, you stand a greater chance as even the 16mm ones will allow you to fit two of these spools to fit into them for safe storage purposes.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 27, 2017 01:59 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthieu
There are no pictures showing the cans as advertised, however, the 360m Super 8 can is said to be 317mm which will hold the Elmo 1200ft spool which has an overall diameter of 300mm.
I would not suggest that two spools should be kept in a can designed for 16mm film.

--------------------
Maurice

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2017 03:46 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
I've ordered 4 for my Elmo reels there.
Keeps them nice and clean.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 27, 2017 04:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For what reasons Maurice?

The Elmo reels fit snugly into either a Super 8mm can or 16mm btw.
The 317mm diameter must be the outer diameter of the cans as the reels do not float around in either type of plastic can Matthieu.

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2017 05:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've kept literally hundreds of Super 8 features on 2 x 1200ft spools of all brands for years in the orange Cecolite 1200ft 16mm cans with no problems at all - I can't really understand why this should be an issue other than finding the cans these days of course?

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 27, 2017 05:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither Kevin, I'm totally baffled and very much look forward to Maurice's explanation as to why he feels this is less than ideal practice. [Confused]

[ August 27, 2017, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2017 11:40 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the 317mm cans will be to large for the 1200ft Elmo?
I have to cancel my order than.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 28, 2017 02:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Matthieu, the spools are 310 and the cans are 317. They should fit quite OK.

The 16mm cans are designed for a small clearance between lid and the spool flange. By storing two Super 8 spools in a 16mm can will not allow this clearance, therefore the lid will continually press onto the spools. Something I don't personally think is acceptable.

--------------------
Maurice

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2017 04:47 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone to their own Maurice but I can assure you the Cecolite 16mm plastic cans - orange or blue ones - do no damage at all to super 8 films or spools stored two side by side - this view is from experience not theory by the way and I know of many other super 8 feature collectors that store theirs in this way as a convenient and tidy archiving method.

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 28, 2017 05:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first returned to the hobby, my first source for films was a chap who I initially met through a deal on ebay.
I then went on to buy many prints from him and I was kindly invited to his home to collect them on each occasion.

Over the weeks, months and years that followed, I got to see his entire collection in storage and all of his large spooled reels of film were stored on racking inside the black single plastic cans as well as the Orange and blue kind designed for 16mm.

Any I purchased came in these cans and a 2x 1200ft film on Super 8mm I found fitted perfectly inside the Orange cans without the lid being raised due to over packing.

I store in cardboard for the larger 1200ft reels of film now, but only because I like my boxes to be square and decorated.

For those with a similar storage racking system for 1200ft Super 8mm features, I see nothing wrong at all with storing your films in the manner he and Kevin does.

They are kept safe, clean, tidy and sealed inside these cans and the fit of the Super 8mm reels inside them, works out perfect in my experience.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 28, 2017 05:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are three different 1200ft plastic 16mm cans in general use. Two by Cecolite (orange and bluey/green), and the blue Tuscan.

I have just done a test using two of the superb 1200ft Super 8 aluminium spool made by Elmo.

In only one case did the spools fit in OK, and that was using the orange Cecolite. The lids of the other two cans did not fit down completely.

And using other Super 8 spools which are not as narrow as the Elmo spools none fitted correctly in any of the three cans.

The use of unsuitable cans could impose undue weight/pressure on the plastic spools.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 28, 2017 06:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good points made Maurice and a good watch out then for collectors.

All I can say then is they must differ from the ones I received from the guy described above and dealers such as Ian here in the past.

As you say, certainly then, the Orange type bring no problems at all for 2x 1200ft Super 8mm storage of films just to air on the side of caution.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 28, 2017 06:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very surprised that the two Cecolite cans were different.

The bluey/green ones were introduced first many years ago with matching spools, however, the spools were thin and not too good, they often cracked.

It was some time after that the orange spools/cans made an appearance. This time the spools were much better made. As such, they may have been a trifle wider, hence the cans were made just that little larger in depth.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 28, 2017 06:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have blue, green and even yellow ones that equally offer the same Maurice as the Orange type, but of course I accept there must have been many different types over the era's and therefore clearly, not all are entirely suitable for storing 2x 1200ft of Super 8mm film. [Smile]

What I can say is the black single type work perfectly for all standard sized individual super 8mm 1200ft spools but the grey coloured type can differ slightly on outer diameter and not all 1200ft Super 8mm spools fit into these as well.

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2017 07:13 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used 16 mm cans to store my Super 8 Reels I have never had a problem even when they don't close properly because of the thicker plastic flanges I don't know what the fuss is all about

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2017 07:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither Chip just a case of worrying about nothing - film is tough old stuff especially when spooled so how on earth it can be damaged when kept in a hard plastic case is beyond me.

Kevin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC