8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » BauerT610 with Xenophot brighter than Elmo GS1200 with ESC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BauerT610 with Xenophot brighter than Elmo GS1200 with ESC
Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 12:13 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a few movies on both just to compare.
My Bauer T610 with the Osram Xenophot looks brighter than my Elmo GS1200 with the ESC lamp I just bought for it.
I also used the Bauer f1.1/11-30mm Lens on my Elmo with an adapter and the picture looked better, but still it was not as bright.
Also the picture looked sharper and clearer, because the light is whiter.
On the Elmo GS1200 the warmer light makes the picture more blurry by comparison.

The Bauer f1.1/11-30mm Lens is much better, than that of the Elmo f1.1/12,5-25mm

Now I understand what Xenon can do for the GS1200. Also the Elmo f1.0/12.5-25 would be much better, but can it compete against the Bauer lens???

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 09, 2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I use to say that the Schneider lens was better than the 1.0 Elmo lens but...I found a very good 1.0 lens and I compared it with the 1.1 Schneider lens built specifically for the Elmo GS1200 so no adaptor needed, using the SMPTE film and the Elmo was much better.
It was perfect from side to side. Just razor sharp.
The Elmo 1.0, if you find a good one, is a technical marvel.
If I could use it on all my projectors I would.
Also the coating on the Schneider lens is cooler than the coating on the Elmo lens so that will also contribute to the whiter look of the Schneider lens. The Elmo has a yellow, "warm" look to it. Better for home films! [Smile]

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 01:23 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had been told, and recently have been able to see for myself that the quality of the Elmo f1.1/12,5-25mm can vary wildly. Some are really good and others are... well not so... So your experience with that lens depends really on that one lens, as others will be better/worse.
The 1.0 lens is great and can give some impressive results, but since depth of field is really narrow here, with older acetate prints it can be difficult to get an even focus and if you are using a xenon machine, you will also observe some focus drift....
And yes the Schneider is a really good lens.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 09, 2017 02:23 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had focus drift using my GS1200 Xenon.
Why would a Xenon cause focus drift? Once the focus is set..it stays in focus. At least mine does.
I can agree about the Elmo 1.1 lens. They are not all equal.

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 02:32 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I experience focus drift especially with acetate b/w prints when using the 1.0 on my xenon machine. I attribute that to the fact that the filmgate gets hot and b/w filmstock having a greater density, so the film frame picks up a lot of heat and can pop out of focus. With a slower lens the effect is usually less pronounced or not noticeable.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 03:11 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question to Matthieu is, what brand of ESC lamp did you use? They can and do vary in brightness, even though I guess they're not supposed to. I tried a few cheaper less common generic brands, and they couldn't compare to the Fuji I normally use...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 03:25 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From memory here you need to count the coils if you suspect the ESC lamp not to be correct - it could be a rebadged EJL which has all the right numbers 24v 200w etc but the coils are not in the right area for maximum Super 8 brightness.

As Joe said the Fuji ESC lamps are the ones to go for.

The Bauers and Beaulieus do produce a very bright output from the 150w lamps though and your Elmo lenses may also need a clean up - I recently stripped and cleaned two Elmo F1.0 lenses for UK dealers and the before and after results were like comparing night to day, everything - brightness, contrast, edge to edge focus etc. was so much better

Kevin

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 09, 2017 03:46 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah..I think I only have 2 black and white prints? And I rarely watch them. I'll take a look next time.
I noticed the big difference in the brightness of the Beaulieu and the Bauer vs. the Eumig S938/940. I couldn't believe how dim the Eumig was in comparison. Seemed like they were using different wattage bulbs. I noticed it with 3 Eumigs I use to own.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2017 01:15 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ESC's I have are Donar 24V200W GX5.3
How stupid of me. I did not pay attention to that. I really thought I ordered the right Fuji lamps.
So clever of them to leave this detail away.
I bought them from here:
https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampesc.html

Will I have better results when I put in a 24V 150 W Xenophot, instead of this lamp, or a EJL?

I brought the Bauer T610 to van Eck for a new belt and a clean-up.
They also fixed the lamp perfectly in the middle, so maybe that helps too?
The whiter light of the xenophot makes the film so clear and I believe that this is what adds to the beauty compared to the GS1200.

[ October 10, 2017, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2017 01:11 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two of the Schneider xenovaron f1.1 for my Bauers and do find them difficult to focus,in particular getting both sides of the picture really sharp.
I believe this lens can vary between samples,so suspect mine are not the best.
having said that,they are certainly not bad.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC