8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why not 8mm vs. 16mm for Broadcasts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why not 8mm vs. 16mm for Broadcasts?
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2017 08:23 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the image being broadcast was not likely received on a tv larger than 27” I’ve always wondered why tv networks chose 16mm as the format of choice rather than the more economical 8mm guage. It couldn’t have been the need for a longer throw.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 22, 2017 12:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, IMHO do not compare the today's 8mm printed by Derann.

Mostly 8mm in pre-80s are terrible, you will notice the different quality when head to jead with 16mm.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2017 01:04 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely 16mm was chosen because prints were struck in that format for nontheatrical use and the resolution at the time was higher because the labs were used to printing it.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2017 04:58 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also the telecine machines in those days weren't anywhere as good as today. On some Dr Who Dvds the home movies on 8mm on a moderrn machine beat 1970 transfers of 16mm hands down. Also they often used much less than the full area of 16mm cropping on all sides, possibly due to stability issues. If you did that on 8mm there would be much less definition.

I won't quote the article in Movie Maker where a contributor did measurement to "prove" 625 line TV had more definition than 16mm.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2017 12:09 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 was used in some television broadcast. It sounds like the ease of sound recording was the biggest restriction until Super-8 sound came about but it was a little late to the game.

Professionalization of Super-8

Super-8 in Television

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2017 03:41 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes news reporting is one area it was used in. In some cases in areas where 16mm would be suspicious and Super8 would look like home movie making. I'm thinking of politically sensitive area where the BBC and ITN did this.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC