8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bauer experts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bauer experts?
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 11:15 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a T600 that I am selling and having just tested it, I have this question.
I ran a film that has two magnetic stripes (one on either side) but not a stereo film. When track 1 button is depressed I get sound. When track 2 button is depressed without any other buttons, no sound. Track 1 and track 2 together- sound and track 1 and track 2 together with the stereo button, slightly improved sound. Can anyone make any sense of this and does it mean that maybe the stereo sound facility may be working?

|  IP: Logged

Renzo Dal Bo
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 12:31 PM      Profile for Renzo Dal Bo   Email Renzo Dal Bo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,
if you press both buttons track 1 and track 2 in mono mode (first button on the left not pressed) the channels are mixed and both the power amplifiers receive the same signal but with twice power. If only the track 1 and both the power amplifiers work you could hear in mono mode a louder sound. Are you sure both the tracks are recorded?
Renzo

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 01:20 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Renzo. I was thinking the same: the fact a film has double stripes does not necessarily mean both of them have been recorded. All the more so if you keep in mind that:
a) the stripe 2 - often referred to as a "balance stripe" was initially meant for what it sounds like (no pun!!): provide a balanced winding on spools keeping all of them flat and,
b) the behaviour of your projectos ounds perfectly consistent with how it should be.

Have you tried projecting a film which you are sure both tracks were recorded?

Best of luck anyway.

--------------------
Maurizio

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 01:29 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both Renzo and Maurizio. I was not aware of that. The film I ran was an extract of Lady & The Tramp, so I assumed that both tracks would have something on, so perhaps not. I will have to try some others and hope that I can find a film that has recording on both tracks. I guess that will be a bit 'hit & miss'.

Renzo Dal Bo
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 04:33 PM      Profile for Renzo Dal Bo   Email Renzo Dal Bo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio and Terry if we are sure the soundtrack of film is mono we could consider to record the track 1 on the track 2, and then to replay the film with only track 2 on. So Terry, you can do a double check: if track 2 works both as recording and as reproduction.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2018 01:47 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Renzo
Unfortunately the recording control has been removed so I'm unable to record so playback only. I think I really need to find a stereo film to fully test it.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 05:53 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Terry.
I might send you some scrap striped film recorded on track 2 only. Just let me find some spare time to find some old, useless footage. In the mean time let me have your address via PM.

Later,

Maurizio

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC