8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A & C Meet Frankenstein question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A & C Meet Frankenstein question
Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2018 04:10 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got around to viewing my 400' U8 copy of A & C Meet Frankenstein and I was disappointed to find that the leader had been damaged and I couldn't salvage anything until the director's credit. Does anyone know if the headline edition has full opening credits or if the 200' version has them so I can repair this issue (the rest of the 400' reel is very good). I'm also curious if there is anything different about the 200' version that might prompt me to get that one anyway. Many thanks!
Gary

|  IP: Logged

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2018 04:25 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spliced my Castle 200' and Universal 8 400' versions together and no longer have the Castle credits, but I am almost certain the Castle reel featured titles specifically created for the digest, while the Universal 8 reel features the original animated titles as designed by the Walter Lantz division (home to Woody Woodpecker) of Universal-International! The opening scene of the 200' reel is crucial to the storyline as Dracula explains that Costello's brain is perfect for a brain transplant into the monster. I feel it is worth adding this short scene.

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2018 04:36 PM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the opening titles to the 1959 Castle release are unique and made specifically for that version.

The opening titles were not done by Lantz but either Dave Fleischer or Frank Tipper who were freelancing with Universal at the time. Lantz had a falling out and was not with the studio at the time of production.

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 09, 2018 04:46 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unique...there is no animation in the opening 200' or 50'...only the 400', after the main title (which is eliminated) - Just your average consumer wondering why

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2018 04:56 PM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By "unique" I meant titles done specifically for the Castle release. They are static text on a plain background.

The quality is bad but you can see the 200 foot edition here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zNgiTmyHtI&index=14&list=PL-vD4cYAozxm2cWmYzHrALFZ_lH8pByZo

Lantz refused to give up merchandising rights on his characters and left UI in late 1947. During production of the A&C film, he was working with United Artists.

[ February 09, 2018, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Bob Furmanek ]

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2018 09:29 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all - this is very helpful. I'm now on the hunt for the 200' sound edition

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2018 09:41 PM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My pleasure and good luck to you, Gary.

You won't have too much trouble. That short was a VERY big seller for Castle for nearly twenty years. There are a lot of prints out there. If I spot one, I'll let you know.

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 10, 2018 01:02 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...THAT background...yes, I have 4 of them...oops, shoulda kept that secret - Sound editions are not hard to locate, if I come across one will let you know - Shorty II

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2018 08:50 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you have four copies? I can see 2. I intentionally have backup copies of some favorites in case one gets destroyed. Just curious why four. Not judging.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 12, 2018 05:55 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One my Dad bought me in 1963 (silent), then of course my kiddie-friends wanted to see it over and over (and act it all out), eventually, that got worn out a might - Then used my allowance to get another, this time in Std 8 (This and the first one I kept all these years) - 1966, big day for Super 8 Sound people, thought it was announced the year before, and went to the camera store and got a 3rd copy - School done, working, time goes on, I was still able to buy a 4th locally before CASTLE shut the door in 1976 - Naturally, kept all these in memory to the past - Some titles are hard enought to get one good one, much less an extra or more - "Live" shows are your best bet, such as CINEVENT in Ohio - Untie the boat, will ya please...Shorty

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2018 08:59 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
“and what about the brrrain? I dun vant to repeat Frankenstein’s mistake and unleash a vicious un-manageable brute. This time the monster must have no vill of his own. No fiendish intellect to oppose his mas-tor.”

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC