8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Take-Up Reel Issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Take-Up Reel Issue
Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2018 07:28 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I take my GS1200 in for repair, I wonder if there might be an easy fix for this issue: the take-up reel starts to turn/take-up the film, but after about a dozen revolutions it stops.
If it were the belt I'd think it'd not turn at all?

Any thoughts?

Gary

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 10, 2018 07:52 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary

Been there done that [Big Grin] if you search back in the forun you will see somewhere I mentioned cleaning the motor commutator and those tiny two brushes that run on it. The back of the motor is only held on with a couple of long screws slide the rear motor cover off with its brushes to get to the commutator. Once there give the commutator a good clean/polish up, with some very fine wet/dry strip of paper 600 grade, then "very carfully" remove the build up of deposits, between "each" of the commutator "segments" with a narrow blade craft knife, finish with a final wash with something like CRC Electra clean. With a couple of cotton buds "cut the cotton ends off" and use the stem to carefully compress both brushes as you slide that rear cover back on, then refit those two screws.

This can all be done in place. The thing is once that commutator becomes "gummy" over time which means poor contact with those two brushes, but once cleaned your motor should run ok for the next 40 years. I should add the front take up motor will need the same treatment as well. It will only take a couple of hours in place to do for both motors....Its not hard to do, its just an age thing with motors but once done they should run fine [Smile]

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2018 07:57 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Graham! I'll open her up and take a look - if I get nervous about my ability to perform the procedure I'll seek pro help, but at least I know now what the issue is!

Gary

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 19, 2018 04:52 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I better link this to Gary post as well.

https://vimeo.com/260705521

I was going to post some stills as well on Gary post, however my better half new camera would not focus down close enough. After playing around with the menu I thought I had got it right and taken some stills, however after putting them onto the computor after I made this short video with another camera. I discovered I had recorded 3 sec bursts of video instead, and not those stills. [Frown] so sorry about that. However I did get the video right. [Smile] ...hope I am not posting double to much, but thought I would explain here the lack of stills.

I think once those motors have been given a good clean and hopefully still some life in those brushes they should last for a number of more years yet. [Smile]

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2018 05:55 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for all your kind --- and helpful -- work!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 26, 2018 06:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary hope you dont mind be using your topic to post some stuff to help another forum member out regarding take-up.
 -
 -
 -

Note that both 303 and 304 are the re-wind and take-up motors are wired in parallel...ie both motos run all the time together either one way or the other when fwd or rev is pressed.

According to the manual...Quote Since no slip-mechanism is applied, you adjust the take-up/rewind power with power supply voltage....
 -

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2018 08:23 AM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't solved this yet. I understand there was another thread by someone with the same issue, but it wound up being a circuit board. Might anyone be able to steer me to that thread?

Thank you all.

Gary

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 04, 2018 10:16 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary,

If you check the Forum's Index of Technical Topics and look under the Elmo heading, you'll find what you're looking for.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC