8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Rewind Motors Video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Rewind Motors Video
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 19, 2018 12:20 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here is a short video I made today regarding those motors [Wink]

https://vimeo.com/260705521

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2018 01:29 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for taking the time to share your technique for cleaning the GS motors. Love the video.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 19, 2018 01:34 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alan

The projector shown was my spare one. Unlike the one I use all the time, this one the motors had never been cleaned.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2018 02:44 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Graham,Great video and a job most can tackle now,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2018 05:52 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham
Thank you very much for these beautiful videos

--------------------
Tony

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 19, 2018 07:48 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed! The video is very clear and perfectly explained. I never thought of cleaning the motors ever. Your machine sounds nice and quiet. Thank you for posting.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2018 08:17 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! Thanks Graham [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 19, 2018 10:22 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superb video by Graham and hopefully this will be added into the forums technical section.
I cleaned both my GS motors just last week using Graham's previously posted written description of this process. Reason for cleaning was electrical noise from both motors, due to arcing within the motors. Both motors were really filthy inside with carbon dust everywhere. After cleaning up everything inside, the electrical noise has pretty well gone.
One thing I found though was that I could not get the brush assembly back onto the rotor shaft without first totally pulling out the rotor. Graham obviously has the nack of doing it with his toothpick technique. Anyway, I had to totally remove the motor, unbolt it from the mounting bracket, and remove the little pinion gear, in order to get the rotor out. Graham's technique, if you have the dexterity to do it, is a much simpler way of doing it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 19, 2018 01:06 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone

Just one thing, if you are going to put a small drop of oil on the back of those motors afterwards, be carefull not to put to much, as if any of it makes it way onto the commutator, in time with wear from those carbon brushes the mix of oil and carbon, could act as a mild sort of cutting compound and increase the speed of wear on the commutator and the brushes running on it.

One other thing with those brushes dont use anything metal on them. I just used the stem of cotton buds to compress them against there springs when sliding the end cover back on.

best of luck [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC