8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Found Herbie Love Bug

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Found Herbie Love Bug
Mark Davies
Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2018 03:18 PM      Profile for Mark Davies   Email Mark Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst putting a load of stuff in the loft today, I found in one of my projectors I had purchased a while back a large film.

I couldn't make out what it was so I put it in the editing machine and saw the first load of frames showed it was Herbie Love Bug.. It has a sound strip on the edge, smells nice and clean (no vinegar).

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 31, 2018 10:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool! How is the color?

What film guage is it? I don't think you said.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Davies
Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2018 12:20 PM      Profile for Mark Davies   Email Mark Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey OSI, indeed it is..

Super 8 with sound.
Colour looks ok on holding it up to the light, but I haven't run it through a scanner or projector as yet. Probably wont do for some months really.

It is a great film if I recall.

Kind Regards Mark.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 09:12 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never knew that existed! See, just goes to show ya.

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2018 05:59 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have the first three Herbie Movies full lengh on Super 8

The Love Bug is a Italy Print on 5x600 feet Reels
The second Film is a german Print on 4x600 feet Reels
Herbie goes to Monte Carly is a Italy Print on 6x400 feet Reels

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 04, 2018 12:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some neat "curio's" from this film ...

"Way back in the day", in the 60 and throughout the 70's, the Walt Disney Studioes, released on 16MM two things ...

1. TV trailers for they're feature, which are fairly common.
2. "scene" reels from they're features, (not too common).

These were complete scenes and would run three to four minutes long. Now, back in the 60's to the very early 70's, these were actually printed on Agfa film stock. Later, these were printed on fadey eastman film stock and just look horrible.

Fortunately, the "scene" reels of the original "Herbie The Love Bug" were mostly released on Agfa! I ran into all four of them on ebay and only one of them was released on eastman and it was a pinky mess, but the others still, to this day look GREAT!!

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2018 04:54 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have some of these 16mm "scenes" and I thought they might be what was sent out to TV stations and when a show (like Siskel and Ebert) was doing a review of the movie the "scene" clip would be shown during the review. But that is just a guess.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 05, 2018 12:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right! These were also used when one of the actors would do an interview (say, on the "Tonight Show"), to accompany the actor ...

... but they would also be used when local affiliates would just have extra time in between shows as well.

Some of them are actually quite interesting. I have a black and white one from the original release of "babes in Toyland' and this 4 minute reel is a well conceived and edited collection of parts of the songs from the feature, but is done as if on a stage.

Quite interesting.

Another one, "The Jungle Book" (animated) (all clips on Agfa), the person who originally owned them actually took all the clips and spliced them together in the order of the feature film and it runs as a "digest" of sorts and is about 16 minutes long!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC