8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon projector power lead problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon projector power lead problem
Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2018 11:25 AM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just picked up a chinon 7500 but it had no lead.It takes the special type with the three pins in a straight row rather than the standard kettle type lead.The thing is i have a grey coloured lead from an earlier chinon machine which fits but it can be inserted either way.I have not pluged it in as i wanted to find out if this can be used either way or just the one way, does any one know?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 06:26 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure someone who knows the projector will have the answer, not knowing this machine, I would take a test meter to the lead to find out which pins on the projector end go to which pins on the mains plug end of the power cable.

Then open the projector and see which pins on the power socket go where. One would imagine the center pin would be an earth, but without a meter it's wise to find out first the polarity of the mains lead pins.

A bit long winded, but if no other answer is forthcoming, it might help you in the short term to find a solution..

Be careful of any capacitors in the projector and obviously take care when messing with mains cables.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 14, 2018 01:55 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Chinon special three-pin mains lead will only fit one way. There is a small key-way on one side.

--------------------
Maurice

Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 02:22 PM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply’s, yes on the projector there is a key way above the middle pin that would match the original lead which was missing but i have a lead from an earlier chinon machine that fits in either way round as it seems to be identical both sides.So maybe with the projector this lead came from it didnt matter which way round it went in, so maybe its the same for the later machines but i want to find out for shure before i try.Anyway what would happen if it was the wrong way?, would a fuse just blow?.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 14, 2018 02:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The centre pin is Earth.
With key-way uppermost and looking at the holes in the mains socket:-
Right hand side = Live
Left hand side = Neutral
There is only one way to check it out and that is to plug the lead in and see what happens.
I have many Chinons and they all have a lead with a key-way except for one of the latest models which has a "kettle" connector. Perhaps someone has filed off the keyway on your lead.

--------------------
Maurice

Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 06:09 PM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve had the lead a long time and im pretty shure it originally came with a C 200 or a C 300 projector which date from the 1960s.It doesnt look like it has been tampered with.I think i might play it safe and try to locate a proper lead that will fit the key way then i know it is the right way up.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 15, 2018 04:59 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a multi-meter which has a setting for continuity (or ohms)you can check out your lead's connections as per my details above.
Once done, you can mark with a felt pen where the key-way should be for correct insertion in your 7500.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC