8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex M8 and some standard 8mm recommendations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex M8 and some standard 8mm recommendations
John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently picked up a 'Bolex 8mm projector' as part of a collection I bought. I've already got an 18-5 and fully expected it to be another one of those. When I got the collection home and had a look at everything, it turns out it's the Bolex M8 which I have to declare is the most beautiful cine projector I have ever seen.

There were one or two problems with it at first which eventually was tracked down to the power cord (!), but I've given it a clean and oil and it now runs like... a Swiss watch. What a machine, it sounds and feels like a hot air gun when it's running but it's all part of the charm, just the thing for cold winters, I guess! And a clear, sharp and steady picture.

I don't have too many 8mm prints, mostly 1920s Keaton, Chaplin and so on, but wondered it there were any recommendations for really good quality 8mm prints to put it through its paces? I have a Castle 200ft cut down of Arabian Nights which is of course a mute print of the 1942 release (I think) and it has the best picture quality - sharp and with excellent contrast - of any of my 8mm collection, probably as it's a later film and has been duped less than the older silents I have. Are there any others I should be looking out for - colour or b/w, but they should be silent of course.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 15, 2018 06:18 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't recommend any silent standard 8 films but there is usually a wide selection available from Independent 8.

--------------------
Maurice

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2018 09:36 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several R8 silent shorts from Film Office that look absolutely incredible. Several early Harold Lloyd's (playing Lonesome Luke). Well worth tracking a few down.

The Bolex M8 is a stunning machine!

- Rob

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2018 10:21 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are interested in original silent (ie pre-1930) features and shorts,let me know and I will send you a list.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC