8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New broken Eumig S938

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New broken Eumig S938
Mark Davies
Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2018 09:20 AM      Profile for Mark Davies   Email Mark Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a punt at the non working Eumig S938 on eBay for £99.
'Doesn't power on'
Turns out it's the front power switch, which I bridged.
The bulb doesn't work, but everything else seems ok so far.
I don't know if £99 is too much really, and there is another for £165.
[Edit] And the £165 one has gone.
Kind Regards Mark

|  IP: Logged

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2018 12:22 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get this working without too much hassle then £99 is a good price to pay. Does it look like it's had much use?

Mark Davies
Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2018 02:54 PM      Profile for Mark Davies   Email Mark Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dirt and dust inside, but everything seems to go round.
I can fix the power switch someway, so it just needs a bulb.
I'll be taking a few films into work tomorrow to test out the sound, which is in all fairness the reason I went for it, just to capture sound.

Kind regards Mark.

Mark Davies
Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2018 06:02 AM      Profile for Mark Davies   Email Mark Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, an update.
I originally wanted a machine that pulled the sound off film for conversions.
On first play, it was noisy and the sound was slow (even on 24frame rate).
The noise was the gate clicking, and on recording from the unit to a computer, you could hear the clicking on the track.
So, I removed the lens and opened up the gate.

Now the sound recording is so clear it's amazing. Crystal clear. I recorded a Derann advertising reel and it's come out excellent.

So I just need to tidy everything up, sort out the power switch (I will change it for a standard flick switch and mount on rear of the machine). Give it all a clean up and I have my audio machine.

£99.. that's not bad really I think for a stereo recording device and I'm not spending any more money on it.

Kind Regards Mark

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 04, 2018 10:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark congratulations on acquiring the Eumig S938. It is a great machine and, as you have found out, the sound quality is just incredible, particularly with newly recorded stereo. That main switch is a recurring problem on the 900 series Eumigs. I replaced mine with a rocker switch mounted on the rear of the projector. Works fine and looks good! :

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010974

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Davies
Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2018 04:04 AM      Profile for Mark Davies   Email Mark Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul, that's a nice job on the switch. I did wonder at first why you had selected to go through the metal casing, but of course, the rear plastic panel is removable.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC