8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » More fiddling with the Wolverine!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More fiddling with the Wolverine!
Bill Sherren
Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2019 03:48 PM      Profile for Bill Sherren   Email Bill Sherren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although changing the film path did seem to improve the jerky image it's still not consistent. A scan started with me pressing the default setting and that gave me the frame line in shot. Stopped the scan and adjusted the frame using the settings. And resumed scan. On playback that first bit of scan was still jumping. But the resumed scan is stable! Does adjusting the frame position have any physical effect on the film and the claw position? But them because of this flickering or strobing effect you get on certain shots decided to do another scan using the exposure of +0.5. This seemed to lesson the flickering but the jumping image was back in places! A third scan trying -2 on the exposure was more flickery but the jumping was better again! When I look at the footage in playback on my computer you can see that on the jumping footage every other frame is blurred with the alternative frames sharp. And on the flickering bits 3 frames are correctly exposure with the 4th much darker. And it carrys on like that for the affected scenes? I am already up to 25 on the scanners counter and that's just trying to get a half decent scan from two 50 footers! Projecting on a screen and filming that might be the only way to go! The biggest snag I have had from that method is image sharpness. Need to work on that! After I tried using a simplified film path on the scanner I did run a bit of another film through and there appeared to Bec less obvious damage to the sprocket holes. But not completely convinced I would trust it!

|  IP: Logged

Werner Ruotsalainen
Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2019 05:18 PM      Profile for Werner Ruotsalainen   Email Werner Ruotsalainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using the take-up reel? If you (still) do, consider scanning WITHOUT it to see whether it reduces your problem rate. It has tremendously reduced mine; I have very few bad scans on either my two scanners (one dedicated to scan originally double films (= widened, ~8.2mm film channel), the other for strictly Super8 ones (= original, 8mm film channel))

Just an example: in the last few days, I've scanned four (public) films (the last two are here, showing both a Double and a Super8 scan: https://youtu.be/UHzoKFqGOqw 8mm scan: Stockholm - Helsinki - Saint Petersburg - Oslo, 1980; https://youtu.be/kCAGZvBPFEE 8mm scan: Helsinki - Denmark, 1978 ). I had problems with none of these films. (I've stopped the scan 2-3 times, depending on the reel size, to make sure the diffusor is completely clean and that I don't have any kind of problems.)

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 05, 2019 06:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those scans looks really good Werner. Such a shame that the manufacturing quality control of the Wolverine is so poor.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kev Morrison
Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2019 03:39 PM      Profile for Kev Morrison   Email Kev Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Look at the problems of the Wolverine scanner this way:

1) Just think about all of the money that Wolverine is saving by using it's customer base for intensive product testing and development. Wolverine owners can consider themselves 'beta testers' - isn't that fun? [Eek!]

2) Then, after we uncover all of the bugs, weaknesses and design flaws, Wolverine picks two or three of the biggest problems, and resolves them in a NEW release/version of their product!

Imagine the pride we Wolverine owners then have, knowing that we helped make a better (?!) product... and that as a result, we've developed an enhanced personal vocabulary of obscenities, as well as blood pressure control techniques! [Big Grin]

Jus' adding a bit of humor, folks!

Stay tuned for Wolverine Pro XL, probably coming in late fall 2019 /sarc

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2019 04:49 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Bill Sherren
Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2019 03:40 PM      Profile for Bill Sherren   Email Bill Sherren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although quite difficult to photograph because the damage is quite small and subtle hopefully you can just about see it on this photo. It is circled in red. Each sprocket hole has a slight raised indention after running through the scanner. The sprocket holes were perfect before the scan. The last scan I did on a new film where I used a simplied film path has a hint of the damage in the same place but less obvious. Perhaps running the film into a box might remove this damage altogether. I am very surprised if there are no other Wolverine owners who have not got similar damage. Its needs very close attention to the film and a watchmakers eyeglass shows it clearly. So perhaps just giving a general look you might not realise.
Still puzzled how just changing the frame adjustment after I first started a scan by stopping the scan and them adjusting and resuming gave a more stable scan after the adjustment. As I did not think adjusting the frame had any physical effect on the film?
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC